Chapter 18

Chapter 18

“Death frees us from the relentless demands of the sea.”

-- Sento of Yang

A sun had slipped into the desert and returned once since the Day of the Ram, and Wentai again stood before the council.

“Most excellent,” said Master Dunham, his eyes slightly bloodshot. “The corpses of the sky sharks rest at the bottom of the sea.”

“Indeed,” said Master Alard. His voice was without inflection, flat and level. “You have saved Char. Your service to your city is exemplary, but there is more to be done. We ask of you to contact soldiers of Yang mid-way between our cities, accept them into your ranks, and then lead the army to the west. Strike at the reptile pit you discovered.”

“As you wish,” said Wentai. “But what of chariot-master Taistau?”

“He will remain with the city, overseeing the construction of more chariots and newer weapons,” said Master Dunham. “His great skill is organizing men, while yours is leading them.” 

“We need someone we trust,” said Master Teobald. “And Taistau cannot be spared, as he raises a second army for Char. There are other soldiers, but they are unproven.” 

Wentai thought it odd for Master Teobald to speak in such a way. Every man of Char could be trusted, and every women. There was no theft in Char, no dishonesty or vice. While all men were born with different amounts of courage and skill, all would serve their city when called upon. The council tended to be a paranoid lot, at times.

“I will do as you ask,” said Wentai. “I estimated about three hundred scaled ones at the reptile pit. They may have been reinforced by now. How many chariots should I take?”

“All of them,” said Master Alard. “Ride out, accept the services of the soldiers of Yang, defeat the enemy, then ride back with haste.”

“Yes,” said Master Dunham, “and take the drivers only. The men of Yang will fight in the chariots alongside us.” 

Wentai’s eyes widened. The chariots held room for two men, a driver and a soldier, along with a small barrel of water. But to crew them with men of another city? It was unheard of. Aside from a terrible violation of Sento’s Treaty, men from two different cities had no training or practice fighting together. 

“We need them,” said Master Dunham. “We cannot spare a thousand and six hundred men. The Sea of Dekatos crawls with the enemy, and if they strike while our army is away, all will be lost. Too many of our bravest have already been killed, their bodies feeding the barnacles and carrion fish. We would not even have eight hundred trained soldiers to stand beside the drivers.”

“Can we trust the men of Yang?” asked Master Teobald, wiping his forehead. “What if they turn on us? They could take the chariots and return to Yang. We might one day face our own chariots in battle.”

A woman – until then standing silently with her back to the wall – strode forth, anger evident on her face. “We have honor in Yang.” Several guards moved to block her. “We have pledged ourselves to supply you with soldiers, and we will.”

“Yes, of course,” soothed Master Alard. “Wentai, take command of the chariots. Meet the soldiers of Yang, who already march along the coast to our city. Take them aboard the chariots, defeat the enemy, and return.”

Wentai bowed.

It took a little explaining to the other drivers, but he managed to get Idalika in the chariot beside him. Wentai used a heavy chariot of bronze, as his own had been destroyed outside the reptile pit. The camels pulled his chariot out behind the city, and he only needed to wait an hour for Char’s army to form around him. When they were ready, each with a small barrel of water beside the driver, eight hundred chariots moved off. The walls of Char were lined with waving citizens.