Chapter 13

Today 2:47 AM

I won't be at school today, you'll have to find another ride.

I was frozen in shock, still sitting in bed, staring at the text I was greeted with this morning. I couldn't believe it, this may have been worse than just being ignored. With shaking hands, I quickly pulled up Vera's contact, asking for a ride to school. Within seconds, she replied: Oh shit. Of course.

Slowly lowering my phone, I attempted even beginning to comprehend what this meant, but my mind was racing from Ethan just hates me now and is sick of my shit to what if something is seriously wrong? I just can't take it anymore. Seriously, I practically had a breakdown on the sidewalk  in front of his house yesterday, which caused my face to grow hot just at the memory. The elderly man watering his rose bushes across the street probably thought I was a real pitiful display as well.

I was a complete wreck, and for once it wasn't completely due to my mental illness.

An ice cold shower shocked a little bit of life back into my system, but I still felt like I was walking around in a trance, completely unaware of my surroundings. I had put hand soap on my toothbrush, walked downstairs with my sweater on backwards, and discovered that I had forgotten to wash the shampoo out of my hair, really selling my level of stability to Mrs. Clarissa. Right when it actually counted. I knew she still harbored some reservations about my health due to yesterday's debacle and me storming out like an angsty teenager. Which, I guess that's technically reality now.

My appetite was completely destroyed, but I attempted to force down as much breakfast as I could, just to appease Mrs. Clarissa. She stood behind me with a spray bottle, attempting to comb out my sticky, matted hair. Mary was the only one talking, the rest of us were silent with an unspoken understanding of the delicate environment I had undoubtedly created.

"You're getting a ride from Vera?" Mrs. Clarissa questioned, craning her neck to see out the window facing the street.

"Um, yeah," I spluttered, glancing up as Vera's car rolled to a stop by the curb, rushing to gather my dishes and place them in the sink before grabbing my backpack and opening the door.

"Well, have a good day, Ivan," Mrs. Clarissa still stood by the table, fixing me with a calculated stare. I hurried out the door to Vera's car, not being able to bear that look for much longer. When I opened the door and slid into the passenger seat, I expected to be bombarded with questions, but Vera was quiet, greeting me good morning and beginning the drive to school.

"You okay?" She asked, sparing me a glance as we were stopped at a red light. I stared out at the road ahead, not really too sure myself.

"I don't think I know yet," I squinted against the sunlight, a grimace overtaking my face.

"What happened? Is Ethan ignoring you or something?" She asked, chewing on the inside of her lip slightly.

"Guess you could say that," I grumbled sadly, propping my elbow on the car door and placing my chin in the palm of my hand. "He told me this morning to straight up find another ride. It was very direct. I tried to apologize and talk, but. . ." I shook my head. "I don't know."

Vera perked up, looking at me again before nodding strongly. "You know what? You're damn right. The ball is in his court now, you tried to make things right and he's not willing to work it out, so that's on him. Fuck him."

My shoulders deflated slightly, covering my eyes with my hand. "Vera-"

"Block him! Who cares? He's going to realize sooner or later what he missed, and he'll come crawling back. Then you can be the one to be cold and uncaring, give him the same treatment he gave you." Vera was feasting off of her own energy, voice growing louder as she hyped herself up, and I knew she was trying to make me feel in control and empowered over the situation, but it only made me feel even worse.