32. The portrait

Rose

Too many things happen at once. The councillors all scramble from their seats, including Mark and Damien who both look tense and shocked. This was not supposed to happen. I sense the magic moving away from my body and I am visible once again. Thank goodness I am hiding behind the curtains.

At the far end, the alarms set off loud, breaking the deafening silence. All the vampires have their fangs and claws spring, with their eyes turning a few shades brighter. They are all in predatory mode and I watch everyone run out of the room from my hiding spots.

Shit, what should I do now?

I start regretting my choice, tightening my grip on the curtains. I debate  on whether I should go out and follow them or just stay here and hide. I breathe deeply. I always make the wrong choices. Tears spring in my eyes and I shake my head, as if the tears will stop falling if I do so.

I always make the wrong choices. I think again and I can't stop myself from the upcoming evil thoughts.

I made the wrong choice for falling for a vampire. I made the wrong choice for being too curious and reading the records in the open. I made the wrong choice by stealing records in the first place. I made the wrong choice for remembering the memories Damien tried to hide by biting me. If you now think about it… wasn't it me who always tried to get myself killed in the first place? My curiosity was out of my control and Damien just tried to save me. Why was I ever angry at him? He tried saving me. Simple.

My knees can no longer hold my body and I fall to the ground. I bring my knees to my chest and lock myself. I don't care if I am visible, all I want to do now is just give myself a break. Did I ever do that after I read Jennet's diary? Probably not.

"Who's there?" I hear a familiar voice.

Shit, shit.

I find my feet sticking out the curtains. I pull them in immediately, but it's too late.

"Show yourself." I hear Damiens strong voice much nearer than before. I curse at myself. Removing the lethal dagger, I hide it behind myself. I won't kill him though, I will stab him in his collar bone and immediately hide in the forest. After that I would decide what to do next.

My grip on the knife tightens, it feels oddly cold and my heart is beating quicker than before, he must have noticed this by now.

Silence stretches within us and just when I think the time is right, I strike first head on.

A look of relief and shock overtakes Damiens and I try to take this to my advantage and attack him first.

With a gutteral shout, I lunge at him and aim the dagger at Damien’s collar bone, but due to his quick reflexes I miss.

Before I could crash on the ground, I hold on to the corner of the table to support myself. Once I am up, I glance at Damien sharply and our eyes lock. We stand facing each other in complete silence and while I look like I have sneaked away in my pajamas(which I have) Damien looks like a shocked businessman (his business is selling blood and breaking hearts).

"Rose...how...why…knife?" He trails off and the muscles in his strong jaws bunch.

"Don't expect me to answer honestly after what you've done," I say, my voice hoarse and my body completely focused to perceive or act at the smallest danger.

"How are you here? I have been looking for you," he asks, his voice gruff with a frown forming between his eyebrows.

"Sure you have," I snap, unable to hide my bitterness towards him. He notices it too and steps forward almost about to stop me, but stops in his tracks.
"Is this your doing?" Damien asks more softly this time and I shake my head, "No, but I don't think you will trust me, after all your loyalties lies to Scarenville." I spit rudely and break eye contact. I cannot force myself to look at Damien anymore.