Chapter 3 - Braces and Butterflies

March 2008

"I'm starving," Chris sighed, deflating into the chair. "Can't we go get something to eat?" Chris was 15, always complaining about a girl, lack of sleep, or hunger. It really bothered me, but I knew I couldn't do much about it. 

"Chris!" My dad burst while taking a fistful of his dusty brown hair into his hand. "How many years have we done this now? You should know to get something to eat before we get to the port!"

Chris groaned and kicked his suitcase. "I did. But I'm hungry again." He grumbled incoherently. The rest of the family chose to ignore him this time.

After 10 minutes of Chris's whining, a man in a blue and white uniform came over to speak to my father. "Are you Mr. Patrick Hall?" He asked politely. 

"Yes, what can I do for you?" My dad replied.

"Well, when we have important people on the ship, like politicians, actors, musicians, business CEOs..." The man trailed off momentarily, listing a long bunch of people who receive special treatment. "They usually are allowed to get on at noon whereas the rest of the public can't get on until 1:30."

I looked over at my dad who was nodding excessively. I wondered if he knew where this conversation was headed because I knew I didn't.

"Anyway, since you and your family are such loyal customers, you all have been promoted to V.I.P. status." The man said excitedly. 

"Thank you," My dad said sweetly. "We really appreciate it."

"So," the man said lifting the red, velvet rope that blocked off the ramp leading on to the boat. "Would you like to board?"

"Yes!" Chris exclaimed, running off down the ramp, his suitcase trailing quickly behind him. 

"I guess we will," my mom said, nodding to the man in appreciation. "Thank you, sir."

I unzipped my carry-on and began to search vigorously for my cell phone. Why wasn't Brandon here yet? Was he a V.I.P. too? His family traveled just as much as ours did.

"Come on!" Chris shouted from the cruise ship. "Victoria! Seriously! I am starving here!"

I found my phone, scooped up my bag and ran down to meet my parents. Once we had our passports checked and our room keys printed, we headed toward our room.

"Can't I just give you my bag and go straight to the cafe?" Chris pleaded. 

"No," my mom, dad and I said in perfect unison. We all started cracking up while a disgruntled looking Chris pushed the call button for the elevator. While on the elevator, I flipped open my phone to see I had a text from Brandon.  

Were on early, it read. Where r u? 

I felt my stomach curl in a knot. He was already on the boat and we hadn't run into each other. I had to go and find him.

Im n my room, I replied. Whats ur room #?

446, he wrote.

Cool im in 440. Ill meet u @ ur room. I sent quickly. "Mom? Dad? I asked, laying my carry-on on the nautical, blue couch. 

"Yes, sweetie?" My mom replied as she began to pull her formal wear out of her bag to put on hangers. 

"Brandon sent me his room number. They're on the boat too. Can I go meet up with him instead of going to the cafe?" I hoped she would let me go, but I couldn't be too sure. 

"Of course, honey. Have fun." She smiled as I walked out the door.

I ran down the hallway to his door. I don't know why, but I felt nervous. I took a deep breath, squinted my eyes shut and knocked on the door. 

"Hey, Victoria." Brandon said holding out the "hey" as he opened the door. Suddenly, I was all too aware of his features. The way his tan skin glistened, how his long brown hair swept across his forehead, and how long his eyelashes were, brown  tipped with blonde. He had gotten taller, yet again, and his white teeth now had silver braces strapped to them. His braces didn't make him look bad though, they actually made him look sort of more grown up in a way.

"Uhm, hi." Was all I could muster out. I bet I sounded like such dork! I pulled at the edge of my Limited Too shirt awkwardly trying to figure out how to stop all of this.

He laughed at my awkward response a little before inviting me in. "What's up, shorty?" he teased. I felt my throat tighten up and go dry at the sight of him. He wore a blue Aeropostale t-shirt and plaid bermuda shorts that accentuated his height. What was wrong with me? 

I wracked my brain for answers. I briefly had a flashback remembering when my best friend had the exact same symptoms.

---

"I feel dizzy, like I am going to fall over! And my stomach feels weird, and my hands are sweaty." She frowned.

"Oh, you have got it bad, little sister." Her older sister, Katy, said patting her shoulder.

"Got what?" I asked.

"She totally likes a boy." Katy teased.

"Who?" I asked jumping up and down.

"Bradley," Laura whispered in my ear.

"Bradley Stevenson?!" I exclaimed. "He's a Junior!"

"He's so cute though," Laura said fanning her face.

"Gross," Katy said. "He's dating my friend! And you're 12!"

"Love knows no limits, baby." Laura grinned as she went back to watching Bradley play soccer.

---

No, I thought. I didn't like Brandon. He was so, well, Brandon. You got those butterflies when you saw a cute guy at the mall, when a high school boy talked to you, when the popular kid compliments your hair, not some boy from Michigan. It couldn't be. 

"Nothing," I replied. "What about you?"

"Same," He said flipping his hair. "I mean, except braces." He smiled to reveal his silver-striped teeth. I felt my face heat up. This is not good, not good at all. 

"Victoria!" Rachel exclaimed coming inside from the balcony. "How are you, sweetie?" 

"I am great now," I said, sneaking a glance over my shoulder at Brandon. "And you?" I was really grateful for the opportunity to talk to someone besides Brandon so I could collect my thoughts. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him grab some Converse to put on. I could feel myself grinning stupidly so I turned away and began to play a GameBoy game with Mike.

How was I supposed to deal with this for an entire week?