Chapter Thirty-three

***Smexy times ahead! Please proceed with caution***

REMINGTON'S POV

I gripped Matthew’s hand as though I was holding on for my life. The afternoon breeze was soft and warm as we made our way down the hedge-lined road back to my cottage. The distinctive smell of the countryside hung in the air as we strolled, side by side, along the uneven, narrow road. Birds darted by as Red Admiral butterflies hovered among the wildflowers. There was something fizzing in the air, an easy excitement, soft like the summer breeze.

I never thought I'd feel like this again. And yet, here I was in my home village with the most amazing man. One who wanted to know my pain and wanted to bring it out into the light and make it all okay.

I wondered whether he could feel it too, this intense connection. There was no mistaking that something had clicked, and my senses were awake, revived for the first time in nearly a decade. Taking slow, deep breaths, I tried to still the thoughts in my mind to make sense of them. I felt... better. Better than I had in years. It was as if a calm had filtered down from the sky and was bathing me in glorious peace. I could breathe again.

I glanced over at Matthew, watching as he walked beside me, blue t-shirt loose against his tanned skin. Just looking at him, the calm feeling intensified. It was him. He was the source of the calm that I was experiencing. And from merely being in his company, in near silence.

Nervousness ebbed in as I wondered how he was having this effect on me. Yes, I was attracted to him, but that wasn't what this feeling was. I could only describe it as feeling better, safer, or maybe...

My mind drifted to thoughts of the last time I'd felt like this, thoughts I had buried deep. I allowed one to briefly ease into my consciousness, and I recognized what this incredible and unfamiliar feeling was.

Happiness.

It was then that I first knew. He was it. Matthew was the one, the person my soul craved. It didn't seem crazy anymore. Maybe he was too young for me and maybe we came from different worlds, but that didn't mean anything when my heart was telling me that I'd found someone to love. I'd spent too long without it to lose it again.

I could imagine my friends' remarks, my brother's concern, the looks and stares from people I knew. None of it would matter or change my mind. So what if people thought that it was too fast? Experience had shown me that life was too short. I'd fallen in love and nothing would stop me from making Matthew mine.

* * *

We arrived at the cottage as the sun lowered, the warmth still evident as it beamed into my kitchen.

"We can rest here for a while, and I'll cook dinner later. Do you want a drink? I have wine or something stronger?"

Matthew shrugged. "Sounds good. I’ll have a glass of wine. What do you want to do now? My leg isn’t too bad. I think the exercise did it good."

It was like a standoff, both of us facing the other, the energy bouncing between us, and we both knew what we really wanted to do right then.

"I think I'm going to go for a lie down." I tried to hide my smile, but Matthew gave me a cheeky grin and I couldn't hold it back any longer.

"What a great idea. I think I'll join you if that's alright."

We climbed softly up the staircase, me holding Matthew’s hips as I guided him up each step and along the corridor to my room at the end of the house. Grabbing his hand, I led him into my bedroom and kissed him gently on the back of the neck.