Chapter 9:Take Us Home

She slept on into the afternoon, waking up after an hour of the deepest sleep she had ever experienced. It was most likely the comfort of Chloe's room. Although a mess, and messes usually stressed her out. Maybe she should clean. Maybe put some real clothes on. Keep waiting, but pass the time with simple things.

Life felt a bit normal.

Maybe too much so.

But she would take it for now, before things got serious again. She had no doubt that they would.

So, with a groan she rolled out of bed, standing and stretching as hard as she could before starting to dig through Chloe's dresser. She grabbed a black shirt with a candy skull printed on it. It was the only one that didn't completely swallow her. It was classic Chloe, even smelled like her, weed and something just Chloe in itself, and that made her feel warm and safe. Maybe she was being to much like her old self that week, but it was nice to dream that things were normal.

Next, she nabbed some jeans, rolled them up and decided to also steal a belt. Chloe had wider hips than she did. Always kinda had.

Nice hips you mean.

Hush.

She opened the door, the goal to fix her hair and brush her teeth, but she ran into a solid body, wich let out a surprised sound. She panicked for a split second, thinking she had run into the company she was waiting for but no.

"Damn Max, on a mission?" Joyce said, laughter in her voice. She gripped her by her shoulders, stabilizing the both of them. She let go after a moment, after looking Max over. She didn't miss the brief flicker of shock on her face. She shook it off.

Chloe says you're still pretty. Hype yourself up a bit, it's unusual but it's okay.

"Hi Joyce, and uh, yes. Sorry for marching into you." She apologized, feeling woozy from the impact. Her motor skills hadn't recovered as much as she had thought."I'm still kinda oblivious."

"Its okay honey. Is there any way I can help you? Where are you going?"Joyce asked, looking absolutely exhausted. She remembered even noticing how tired Joyce was as a kid, even worried for her then. She worked so hard, all the time. For everyone, for Chloe.

"Oh, letting me stay here is enough. I was just going to the bathroom." She answered, gesturing across the hallway."I'm stealing Chlo's toothbrush. Please don't tell?"

"A secret I can keep indeed, Max. Be careful with yourself."

She nodded."Of course Joyce."

"Alright, well, let me know if you need anything. I don't go to work until five so I'll be here."

The conversation was dying.

God Max, awkward as ever.

"Alright. Thank you Joyce. Relax for me ok?" She pleaded."if you can."

"I can try, but Who knows." She laughed softly. Max let her hands fall down to her sides, balling them up. She was cold, maybe she should get a jacket too. A flannel? Chloe had flannels out the wazoo. Joyce shut her bedroom door gently, disappearing from sight.

So, she padded into the bathroom, did the works and avoided the mirror at all costs. She just didn't want to look. Not after that.

"You're still pretty Max. Don't even." Cold hands on her face, tilting it side to side."Punk ass says so, remember?"

"Ugh. Sure. I just look even more crazy." She batted the hands away, but Maxine just slinked around her, taking her hands into her own."She's just trying to make me feel better."