Chapter 36

Two Years Later

Izuku's arms burned from the weight of the child he carried. He cradled the boy's head to keep from jostling him too much as he sprinted away from the human trafficker Izuku had been after for weeks.

"Mori, I could use some backup!" Izuku called a little desperately. The other police officer was perched cross-legged on the hood of their cruiser.

"Sorry, no can do. I was told I have to get my paperwork done by Friday or else," Mori said, not even deigning to look up from the papers in his hand. "I assumed that was why they paired us together because you're amazing enough not to need a partner."

"Give the child back!" the man howled, enraged. He was obviously under the influence of some substance or another, which really did not bode well for Izuku at the moment.

"Mori, please!" Izuku begged. "Do it for the kid. Just tase him."

"That sounds like a rough time, Little Midoriya. I just have so much paperwork..."

"I will help you!" Izuku pleaded, yelping when the criminal got a little too close for comfort. "Just TASE HIM."

The other police officer shifted a bit, but before he could actually assist Izuku in the situation, a familiar voice shouted, "How dare you try to abduct a child!"

None other than Death Arms intervened, quite literally sending the kidnapper sailing with a single punch. Izuku slowed, torn between gratitude for being saved and resentment towards the hero.

His entrance had been showy enough that a crowd was gathering around Death Arms, impressed civilians clamoring to get a closer view. The hero didn't give them his attention, though, instead placing a meaty hand on Izuku's shoulder. "That was brave of you, kid, but you should really leave the saving to the professionals. What would you have done if you or the child got hurt?"

When Izuku met the hero's gaze for the first time in three years, it was pure ice. "It's not 'kid,' it's Officer Midoriya. In case you didn't notice, I am one of those professionals. Thank you for your assistance, I leave the perpetrator in your more than capable hands. I have a child to reunite with his family."

Walking towards the police cruiser, Izuku's posture was ramrod straight, his movements almost mechanical. Once there was enough distance between him and Death Arms, though, Izuku softened. Looking at the child, he asked, "Are you okay? Does anything hurt?"

"No, I'm fine."

"Can you tell me your name?"

"Tsutsui Yuki."

"Well, Tsutsui Yuki, your parents are waiting for you at the Police Station. Are you ready to see them?" Izuku asked. The kid was about Eri's age, and Izuku couldn't help the way his heart twisted seeing how scared the boy was.

He gently helped Yuki into the squad car before facing Mori. "For that stunt, I get to drive, and you have to do the paperwork for this case."

Finally, Mori looked up. "But I couldn't help you because of paperwork! Do you really think that more paperwork will solve anything?"

"You know the policy. You can do your paperwork at the station, and if it doesn't have any sensitive information, you could even take it home. But in the field is definitely allowed, especially when your partner and a civilian are in danger!"

Once inside the car and seatbelted, Mori pouted. "That guy didn't even touch you. You were perfectly fine!"

"I had to be saved by Death Arms," Izuku sighed as he started the car. "Do you know how humiliating that is?"