Chapter 6

The sun shines on Arendelle, but it does not reach the back of the castle, as it is blocked. What does reach the back of the castle, however, is Ond. By thrusting arrows into the bricks of the outer wall, he moves along the back, over the water. Slowly, he moves along. Brick by brick, foot by foot. He reaches dirt where he can place his feet, and he goes to the steps that lead into the castle, the steps by which Elsa left Arendelle after her coronation and when she heard the voice that fateful night. He sneaks up the steps and goes inside. He sees an attendant walking through the halls on his commute from one task to the next. Ond goes out to the top step and scratches the wooden door, gaining the attention of the attendant. The attendant pokes his head out the door to see what is making the scratching noise. Suddenly, his feet are pulled out from under him and he is knocked unconscious by the handle of a knife.
Ond looks inside the castle and sees the coast is clear. He sneaks down the hall on his left, moving swiftly and quietly. A sound of talk and laughter is heard behind him. A couple chatting attendants approach him, but are not paying attention to him, or anything, for that matter. There is nothing to duck behind, and running would attract the attendants' attention, so Ond desperately tries to think of a way to act casual.
"Dude," one attendant addresses Ond, "what's up with your face?"
"Yeah, you, like," the other attendant notices, "have metal spots on you. Are you, like, okay?"
"I'm fine," Ond assures them. "Just a new style I'm trying. It'll be the thing in a couple weeks."
"Sorry, dude," one attendant apologizes, "but there's no way that's going to catch on."
"Yeah, even if we have a couple weeks," the other adds, laughing at his comment.
"I'm kind of new here," Ond tells them. "Can you direct me to our quarters?"
"You, like, don't know?" The second attendant asks.
"First day heebie-jeebies," the first guesses.
"That's exactly what it is," Ond tries to get on their good side.
"Sure, bro," the second offers, "as soon as I'm done on the can, I'll show you. Let me say, there's a reason we stick to Arendellian cuisine."
"I, I don't need to hear it," Ond quiets the second. Turning to the first, he asks, "Can you show me?"
"Dude," the first attendant replies. "That's, like, an innovative idea. Come with me, I'll show you. Big first day."
"Aight, Im'ma head out," the second attendant leaves, dashing through the halls to take care of aforementioned business.
"Bro, like, come with me," the first attendant commands Ond, gesturing for him to follow.
Ond is led in the opposite direction the attendants had come.
"Is there a dungeon," Ond asks, "or some sort of torture chamber?"
"Oh, yeah, dude," the attendant replies as they turn down a hall, going deeper inside the castle. "Every castle has one. Every. One."
"Where would it be?" Ond goes on.
"Dude, you're in it," the attendant shares matter-of-factly.
"I mean the dungeon."
They go down a flight of steps.
"Ohh. I thought you meant the castle."
Ond face palms.
"It's just down there," the attendant points at a door to the left. "In there is a staircase that leads to three doors. Through the correct door is another staircase that leads to ten doors. Inside each is a dark room, candlelit. A hatch on the floor of one of the rooms opens so you can push victims in for the ten-foot fall. Except it's not a torture chamber. It's a death chamber. No one can hear you through the floor, and you just stay there till you die. Course, it hasn't been used in decades, but Lortemus and I cleaned out the skeletons and rats and spiders last year, so it should be clean. That's one more time than anyone's ever cleaned the attendants' quarters, which are right up there."
They ascend a staircase. At the top sits a door, which the attendant opens for Ond. The disguised steps through, seeing another hall in front of him. To the right is another hall, to the left, wall, and ahead, red-carpeted hall with about three doors on either side before another hallway intersection.
"Lay claim to any free bed," the attendant tells Ond, "'cause we live by a strict dibs policy, and let me tell you, it's cutthroat."
"Thank you, sir," Ond thanks the attendant.
"Dude, like, no problem. Hit me up with any more questions. And, also, dude, call me Morty."
"Okay, Morty."
"And you are...?"
"Nunya."
"Dude, like, great name!"
"I lucked out."
"Aw, man, you did! See you around, Nunya!"
The attendant leaves to do whatever it is he needs to do. Ond grins evilly to himself, ready to carry out whatever despicable plans he has stored in his malicious head. Everything is going by design.
*~*~*~*
The sun outside the window in the hall floods in, brightening Kristoff's already-light hair. It does not fit his melancholy mood, however; he feels scared about the possibilities of the near future, and their ramifications on his life. But this, and any other sensations, are all blocked out by one thing: he cannot be with Anna. He cannot be there to protect her.
Across the land, Anna feels the same. The man she loves is miles away, dealing with his own worries. With everything going on, what with her adoption and preparation for the worst, she needs some constant, a constant only Kristoff can provide.
Their thoughts and feelings are revealed in the form of song, as much is in worlds like this.
*~*~*~*
I Would Die for You
Kristoff:
"I would die for you,
Just to keep you above.
I would die for you,
'Cause you're my true love.
When it's the time,
I'll step in the line
Of fire
To keep you safe from the thieves
And killers and liars
Oh, I would die for you