Feed

Roman POV

When the bell rung, Lucya tipped my backpack over, spilling its contents on the floor. “Whoops,” She said sweetly, smiling at me. I’ll admit, I was taken aback. She had seemed like the perfect goody-too-shoes Fext – determined not to use the demon part of her. But a smile like that was definitely tapping into the demon side. The side that tempts idiots like me who think she looks innocent.

I scowled and bent to pick up my things. Like I would let a girl like her tempt me. Next to be Lucya packed up her things as slowly as possible. From my position on the ground, the light perfectly framed her hair, making it glow. My heart skipped a beat. No crushes, I reminded myself. You’re here to get a job done, not make a Fext crack.

But still…

She was beyond the normal Fext beauty. Any idiot could tell that. A stirring filled my chest as I thought about what it would be like to run my fingers through her hair, to have her smile at me a thousand times over.

But the worst part? I felt like I knew her. By the time I had seen her, I had already written an entire song about her. People don’t do that about people they haven’t met yet.

Something was definitely messed up about this town.

Eventually, all the students trickled out. “I have to get to lunch duty,” Mr. Klark said, checking his watch. “I trust you two can walk out of a classroom without any trouble?”

No, I wanted to say as panic rose inside of me. Being alone with this Fext wasn’t part of the plan.

But did Lucya realize how much faster she made my heart beat? No. “Yes, Mr. Klark,” She said so sweetly, sugar was practically dripping from her words. I didn’t think it was possible to feel something stirring inside me for words that weren’t even directed towards me, but I did.

I stood up just as Mr. Klark left the classroom. In a second, Lucya turned on me, fury in her eyes. “What the hell?” She demanded.

“Excuse me?” I asked, crossing my arms.

She poked her finger in my chest, which sent electricity arching through my body. I bit my tongue to keep from groaning at the contact of another Fext. A Fext’s touch is a thousand times more powerful than any human.

I suspect Lucya knew that too.

“You’re a Fext!” She exclaimed.

I tilted my head to the side and smirked. “What gave it away? The purple eyes?” A blush crept up the side of her cheeks, an adorable blush, and understanding dawned on me. “I bet it was because I’m a little hotter than what you’re used to.”

She blushed a little brighter and her eyes narrowed. “Arrogant, much?” She hissed. “Fexts are to alert the community if they transfer. There was no notice that you were coming. So what the hell are you doing in my town?”

“Basically you have no idea why I’m here… which is why you’re all hot and bothered.” I said, trying to bluff my way out of it. It was my turn to touch her. I brushed a hair out of her face and behind her ear.

I could visibly see the effects on her. She closed her eyes for a second and gripped the lab bench. Her mouth parted slightly and I felt my stomach lurch as she absorbed the energy transfer.

The effect wasn’t on her alone. I could still feel the tingle on my fingertips form where I had touched her hair.

I leaned down to whisper in her ear. “I bet you even want to feed on me.” I said smugly, referencing the act where we drain essences from bodies. When we did it to any mystic or human it would kill them. But fellow Fexts could feed on each other and increase energy together.

“I – I –” She stuttered her eyes opening wide to stare at me. I smirked. When all else fails, distract the girl. But my smirk must have been too much, because she snapped out of it quicker than I thought was possible, and definitely quicker than I had ever seen before. I scowled. Damn. She was resistant.

“Jackass,” She snapped. “As if I’d ever want to feed on you.”

Annoyance rose up in my chest. Everyone wanted to feed on me. “I bet that’s all you could think of during class.” I retorted. “Considering you took zero notes.” It was Lucya’s turn to smirk. “Watching me, then? Maybe you want to feed on me.”

I don’t think anyone would not want to feed on her. To feel her luscious hair in my hands, her soft lips on mine… well, let’s just say it would probably be the best feeding ever.

I just rolled my eyes. “I don’t want to feed on you.” I watched her get bristle at that and a thrill went through me.

“This is all beside the point,” She finally said frostily. “You didn’t alert the community you were here.”

I sighed. “Look, I alerted them this morning, okay? You must have just not heard. Maybe too lost in that head of yours, thinking of me.”

I must have hit a nerve, because she paled for a second, then grabbed her bag. “You’re a jackass,” She huffed, grabbing her bag. “With a huge freaking ego. Hope you crack.” Lucya said sarcastically before walking briskly out of the classroom. I watched her go, an ache filling my chest.

With her around, I might crack sooner than I thought.