• F O U R •

George was no help.

Well, actually, he was a lot of help, it just wasn't what Dream wanted to hear. But his best friend had always been able to see right through him, and that had nothing to do with his divergent power. George was a life giver, a healer in every sense of the word, and sometimes Dream wondered if that extended to psychological wounds as well. He certainly seemed to have a sixth sense telling him when Dream was lying to himself, although maybe that just came with familiarity.

"You fancy Jord," was his ultimate diagnosis, and Dream rolled his eyes. The two were sitting in a secluded area of the chasm which ran through the centre of the Dauntless compound, their backs to the wall to be sure no one could creep up and overhear. The crashing of the water down below was so loud that no one would be able to hear from a distance unless they were an enhancer.

"I don't 'fancy' her, as you put it," Dream objected, his eyes running over their surroundings, constantly checking that no one was approaching them.

"Bro," George deadpanned, giving him a pointed look.

"What? George come on, man. I..."

"If you're about to say I barely know her, don't bother. This is why you're freaking out because it's obviously not ideal."

"Far from it," Dream muttered. "Do you know how many possible divergents we have in this group of initiates? Sapnap, because obviously we know him. Then there's Rae, who I'm pretty sure is a telekinetic from what Sapnap tells me, not that I've observed anything myself. Then of the transfers we've got Jord who could literally be anything, Brooke and Tina are easy to tell..."

"Shields?" Asked George. Dream nodded.

"There's a few I'm not sure about. There's a group of three Erudite transfers that are always together, Tina is one of them, the other two are Amina, and Imane, who happens to be Techno's sister. I'm not sure if it's the fact that they're together all the time or what, but they give me Erudite vibes."

"Vibes?" George chuckled. "Dream you're so weird sometimes."

"Shut up," Dream pretended to glare at his friend. "You know what I mean. It's their emotional aura, they just feel like an Erudite-Dauntless cross."

"Like me?" George raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, like you, like any Erudite-Dauntless divergent. Remember Wilbur and Niki?"

George nodded in understanding.

"Amina in particular," Dream continued. "She's brilliant, George. She's already worked out the smartest way to fight, and use her own advantages. She just needs to build up some muscle and she'll be a force to be reckoned with. Normally I have to explain that to them, even Jord didn't get that on her own."

"Even Jord," George smiled, shaking his head. "Your high opinion of her is very sweet. She's the one I'm most concerned about, by the way. Are you sure you can't feel her emotional aura? Maybe she just doesn't have one."

"What, dead on the inside? I don't think so," Dream chuckled.

"No, idiot, of course she still has emotions, I just meant maybe there's no aura. I don't know, no one before's ever had more than one power, and if she's already a telekinetic..."

"We've got a problem," Dream nodded.

"I've got a question, by the way," Said George. "You know I have a theory that divergence is genetic."

"You tell me this daily," Dream rolled his eyes, but he was smiling. George's occasional nerdy obsessions made him one of the most interesting characters of his acquaintance. "What's your question?"