Orientation

Exactly six days ago, I received the best news of my life - I had achieved a scholarship for the Crypton Training Camp! The orientation begins at noon today, and I am so prepared. I spritzed the bottle of strawberry mist on me and looked at myself. Hair is fine, face is fine, clothes are fine. I grabbed my favorite red handbag and placed the invitation envelope inside. Walking outside, I knew a bright future awaited me.

- - -

I approached the camp. It was MASSIVE, and built using an old college. Outside one of the front buildings, there was a line leading up to some tables with employees sitting at them taking everyone's papers. I got in line and eventually got to the front.

"Name and envelope, please."

"Meiko Sakine." I placed the envelope in the employee's hand.

"Checks ou-" The girl looked up at me with her large pink eyes. "Meiko!? I barely recognized you with your short hair!"

"Oh my goodness. Luka! I didn't recognize you with your pink hair. It's been forever!" I went around the table and gave her a quick hug.

"I don't have much time to talk to you here, just text me later, here's my new phone number!" she said, quickly scribbling down her number. "Go through those doors there, that's the main office. I'll see you later!"

I waved with a smile. "Bye!"

Oh, Luka. We had such a great childhood together. That was until she had to move away, though. I do remember the two of us having a great passion for singing and performing, so no wonder I met her here. I remember us doing little performances for our parents when we would go to each other's houses. Such simpler times.

I head toward the office, passing by many other students. Signs with arrows pointed to the room where orientation would be held. The room was an old lecture hall. I entered, picking a seat around the middle. Slowly, the room filled up with many people like me, who were eager to learn.

At 12:00, a speaker came out. Her long white hair swayed gracefully as she walked, and she stood in front of the desk.

"Good afternoon, soon-to-be students! I am Instructor Yowane, I specialize in teaching instruments, specifically guitar and piano. I'm so happy you all made it here! This camp is a wonderful place for anyone with interests in learning all things music related."

Instructor Yowane went on about the different instrument and singing programs available here. A class that caught my attention was one designed to help with reaching stardom. I took a mental note of that. It sounded extremely vague, but I definitely had to sign up for that. Another class I considered a must was a dance class. I'd love to attend that.

Free lunch was provided by the camp. I went toward the cafeteria nervously, it looked like everyone else knew each other. I eventually got my food and looked around for a place to sit. A boy sitting alone caught my eye. I figured I should go for it. It's been a while since I've tried making actual friends.

"H-hey," I said, giving him a nervous smile. He glanced up at me. "Do you mind if I, uh, sit here?"

His face lit up into a smile. "Of course!" I set down my tray and sat down. "So, what brings you to this camp?" He asked.

Thank god. He started the conversation. "Oh! Well, I've been trying to apply for months now, and I actually earned a scholarship!"

"Oh wow, nice job! My parents sent me here so I could continue learning the piano. I am interested in whatever that stardom class is, though."

"Same here. I wonder how it would work. Also, you play piano? That's so cool! Such a pretty sounding instrument."

"Yeah?" He gave me a sweet smile. "Thank you. I've been working with it for years now." His smile made me feel warm. He seemed excited knowing I was even engaging a conversation with him.

"Amazing..." I took a bite from the blueberry muffin on my tray. I then realized that there was a possibility he might not be alone here. "Ah! Sorry, you aren't waiting for anyone to sit here, are you? I don't wanna be hogging the space."

"No, no, you're all good! I don't really, um, have friends anyways." He chuckled nervously.

I realized my opportunity here. "That's not true!"

"How so?"

"You can be my friend!" I smiled and gestured to myself, hoping he would accept. He seems like a very sweet guy, one that would be nice to be around.

He seemed taken aback, but joyous. "Yes, of course! I've only known you for a couple minutes but I'd love to!"

"Yay! We should go attend the camp tour together!"

Soon after that, the tour began. Instructor Yowane was one of the tour guides that we could go with, so him and I decided to stick with her. We all gawked at the absolute size of this camp as we went around in a long golf cart. She showed us where the dorms, notable classes, and recreational areas were.

When the tour ended, orientation ended. Our group walked out into the front, ready to go home. My new friend and I walked along as well. That reminded me, I don't even know his name!

I tapped his arm to get his attention. "Oh my goodness, this is a kind of embarrassing question to ask but...what's your name?"

"Ah, Kaito! What's yours?"

"Meiko. I go by Mei, too."

"Wow, that's a nice name!"

"Yours too!"

We had looked at each other for a moment of awkward silence until I broke the silence with: "Soooo...should we exchange numbers? We're friends now, right?"

"Mhm! Yeah, here." Kaito pulled out his phone and gave me his number. I did the same. He glanced at the time on his phone. "Ah, I should get going. I'll see you sometime!"

"See you later!"

The train ride home was quite lovely. I got to reflect on the day as I listened to some music. Wow, I essentially got two friends in one day! Quite wonderful. I'm tired of being lonely. Ever since I moved into my own space, I never really made an effort to reach out or try to meet anyone new. I've always told myself that I'm just self-reliant, but I know deep down that's me trying to convince myself that I'm not lonely.

Funny how the world works, huh? Maybe this is the world paying me back for the years I spent isolating myself.

The train station was a tad far from my home, so I still had some walking to do. There was a lovely sunset painting vivid colors across the sky. The weather was perfectーwarm with a light breeze.

Approaching my door, I reach into my handbag and pull out my key. The key jingles with the cat keychain my mother gave me. I smile, thinking of her.

I got dressed into pajamas and decided now would be a good time to message Luka.

hello, is this luka?

L: hello mei!! yes it is

hiiiiiii!!! it was such a surprise seeing you again today hah

L: definitely! i look forward to seeing you around the camp soon :) i'm currently a student as well, i was volunteering today

for sure!

L: hey, are you busy tomorrow? what do you think of meeting up at the nearby park tomorrow at 2? it would be nice and we could have a reunion of sorts

sounds lovely!

may i bring a friend along with me? i can ask him if he wants to come along . i met him at the orientation, maybe we can all get to know each other!!

L: oooo yeah sure! i love meeting new people

great! i'll let him know , goodnight!

L: goodnight!

I informed Kaito of Luka's plan and he was eager to go. He also suggested that we should all go for ice cream.

Today has been such an amazing day. I wonder what the future holds for me.

As I drift off to sleep, I think about how amazing my life will be from here on out.

A/N - if you got all the way down here, thank you!! hope you enjoyed this first chapter :]