Chapter 5

Fast forward to the start of year 7. I won't talk to much on around the time I started. I was basically just the same as everyone else. Starting a new 'chapter' in my life.

Let's talk about Steven. Think back to chapter one, I mentioned him briefly. After school, everyday, I would go over to Stevens house.  I would make a bowl of super noodles, and there would always be an energy drink in the fridge for me. Some days I would go back to Stevens, and he would be out. He always made sure to write a note and leave it on the kitchen table letting me know where he was, and his phone number. To call him if there was an emergency.

I remember when one of Stevens daughters came to visit, she had said she had a surprise for me. Her name is Elaine. Her and Steven took me room decor shopping. I was confused to why, I thought they were going to redecorate my room at my mothers, but even so that had recently been decorated. Elaine insisted on having a colour theme, we choose blue and grey. I picked out a grey and white bed set, a blue blanket, and grey pillows to match. I chose other little things to match the colours, things like picture frames, candles, a blue lamp. Steven picked out a mirror, with a white border surrounding it.

Steven got a taxi home, he took most of our shopping with him. Elaine and I took the bus home, she said she wanted to talk to me about something on the way back. It was silent most of the journey, I could tell there was something she really wanted to say, she just couldn't find the words for it. In the end, Elaine explained that she had turned Stevens spare room, into my new bedroom. She said that she'd bought me a bed, and everything I would need. Steven bought me a tv and set everything up for me. All that was left was for me to move my clothes in, and make it my own. I remember she wanted me to spend as much time with Steven as I could.

It wasn't took long after, I found out Steven had cancer. I didn't know details, I just knew it had spread and became worse. I mean, that explained all the doctors appointments. There were a couple of times where I had to stay with mum for a couple of days, because Steven had started chemo and he wasn't aloud around too many people. His daughter stayed with him to look after him.

Steven was basically my grandad. We wasn't biologically related, but he sure looked after me like I was. Every birthday, Christmas, even Easter. He would make it special for me. He would take me on holiday once a year. We never went far, he loved caravans so we usually just went to different caravan sites. Some with fun fairs around, others surrounded with nothing but fields. He liked the peace and quiet. Silence was a blessing to him.

Around the time I was finishing year 7, he was too ill to look after himself. It frustrated him because he liked being independent. Ever since his wife died, too from cancer. He was on his own. Sure he had me and my family around, he had his own family, but he looked after himself. He did everything on his own.
It was hard for me to see him that way, bed bound. He didn't have the strength to stand up. He refused to eat, though I spent hours begging him too. It affected me. Seeing someone you love, slowly dying.

The last day a year 7 I was woken up by Elaine. She got me up for school as normal, but she had been crying. She told me I needed to say goodbye to Steven, that today was his last day. She knew, everyone knew he couldn't go any longer. I said my goodbyes and carried myself to school. The day went by really fast. It sounds selfish of me but I just tried to block it out. I tried not to think about it. I tried to walk as slow as I could home. Dreading what I was going to say to his family.

I sat in my room, waiting for him. I knew it was coming so as soon as I heard my mom walking up the stairs I just put my headphones in, looked up at my ceiling and I thought I would cry, but I didn't. I just felt empty.

Elaine asked if I wanted to see him. I got up and walked past her without saying anything, she told me that she was sorry. I told her not to be stupid and there was nothing we could do. It was his time. I walked into the living room. He was just laid there. The red blanket from out of the cupboard was covering his face. His family watched as I walked over and removed the blanket. His eyes closed, I climbed onto the side of his chair and snuggled into him. His skin was cold, his body was lifeless.

I packed an overnight bag before the family reported Stevens death. I left as soon as I could. Now living back with my mom and Alex. I felt as if my life was starting all over again.