Trampoline - Prologue : Memories

TRAMPOLINE

PROLOGUE : Memories 

(Nine years old) 

"You want it?" Drake grinned happily, holding the tattered book high above my head and beyond my reac.h "Come and get it." 

I stretched up on the tips of my toes and desperately tried to reach it, but to no success. We'd used to be the same height, but he had shot up in a tremendous growth spurt - leaving me several inches shorter than him. "Give it back!" I whined.

We had chased each other throughout our neighborhood and around each other's houses several times, before ending up in my back garden - all because of my favourite book which he had stolen. I watched him use his spare hand to brush back his ash blonde hair from his face then flash me a cocky smile.

"Or what, Hayden Jones?" he said, using my full name to aggravate me to no end.

"I'll tell," I pouted, crossing my arms.

He laughed and lowered his arm as if he was about to give the book back to me, then lunged sideways and ran away. I chased after him, jumping onto the trampoline and tackling him to the springy surface. 

I snatched the book back from him and held it triumphantly in the air, savouring the victory before he stood up after me and took it back.

"Aww, Drake!" I wailed, looking up at him with wide, tear filled eyes.

With one look at my face, he immediately gave the book back "I'm sorry, Haydee" he said.

I grinned and took it back from him, my expression suddenly turning into one of joy when my plan succeeded. "Tricked you!" I squealed happily, bouncing up and down on the trampoline in excitement. 

His face fell as he realised. "And I was really being nice then, Haydee!" 

I reached over and hugged him, breathing in the familiar scent of home. "Thanks, Drakey" I mumbled, then reached up on my toes and kissed his cheek.

Laughing, he hugged me back and murmured in my ear "You're welcome, Haydee," before realising what we were doing and jumping back.

We sprung apart, both giggling and started to bounce again, making a competition of who could bounce the highest. 

"Drake!" called my mother, her voice coming from within my house "You need to go!"

Groaning at the same time, we dismounted the trampoline. My feet hit the cold ground with a thud and we walked reluctantly towards my house.

Inside the house we were met by both our mothers and I glanced at Drake in confusion. He wouldn't meet my eyes and looked at the floor. His house was next door and normally none of his family would bother to come and collect him. That's when I noticed the moving vans outside his house and it all pieced together in my mind.

I gasped. "Drakey... are you leaving?"

He nodded glumly, looking sadly at the floor and shuffling his feet.

Without saying a word, his mother pushed him roughly out of the front door and shoved him into the waiting taxi. I watched it start up and begin to drive away, my silent tears trailing pathways down my face. How had he never told me he was going to be leaving?

My feet moved subconsciously and I ran barefoot down the road, desperately chasing the car which was rapidly gaining speed. My feet pounded against the road and grew sore, but I kept on running, hopelessly trying to reach my best friend. The last thing I saw was his face, pressed against the window and desperately seeking mine, before it was pulled away briskly by his mother.

That was the last time I saw Drake, but four years before we received a frantic phone call from his mother telling us that he had run away. Four years before he disappeared completely.

I looked at the empty road, just as it started to rain.

-----

Meh. I know it's not very good, but I had an idea in my head and I needed to get it out. I don't know if I'll continue, but who knows. I may go back to it if I feel like it. 

Gosh, I'm sounding so positive right now! 

Votes, comments and feedback are much loved, as usual. <3 xo