Carp Shoot: A Panic x Edgewise Bonus Chapter

Author's Note: In celebration of Amazon Prime Video's newest series Panic, I am thrilled to be teaming up with Amazon Prime Video and Wattpad to write this exclusive chapter that puts my characters from this story into the world of Panic!

I hope this chapter intrigues and inspires you to learn more about Panic. Visit the #PanicWritingContest on Wattpad for the chance to put your creative writing chops to the test and learn more about the show!

To find out more about the contest, prizes, and how to enter, check out the #PanicWritingContest here: wattpad.com/AmazonPrimeVideo

Don't forget to watch the series premiere on May 28th, only on Amazon Prime Video, here: http://primevideo.com/ 

Carp Shoot

Calponia squinted at her arch nemesis, reaching for the button with a trembling finger. The blue light came on with a quick jab and she held her breath, fighting the urge to duck down below the counter. A grudging gurgle sounded in the belly of the machine, moments before a slow drip of brown liquid descended into the waiting metal carafe. She punched her fist into the air, crowing her success. This called for a victory dance.

The front door of the Edgewise swung open mid shimmy. Calponia jumped with a squeak, her socked feet slipping out from under her. Her journey to the floor came to an abrupt end, an arm reaching over the bar to catch the waistline of her pajama bottoms in midair. Only one patron moved that fast. A blush crawled straight to her hairline.

"Morning Eugene," she mumbled to the floorboards. The vampire lowered her gently, but remained silent until she chanced a peek up at him through her sleep tangled curls. He stared at her with a look of bemused adoration.

"You have penguins on your pants," he said.

If possible she blushed harder. "I like penguins."

"They're adorable," said Eugene.

Calponia bit back her automatic retort of 'You're adorable.' That would lead into a full blown flirtation and, though she hoped they were past that initial awkward phase in their relationship, she hadn't even managed to inject caffeine into her system yet. Instead she said, "You're here early," mentally berating the tavern for not so much as a warning. She was still in her penguin pajamas for heaven's sake.

Eugene shrugged, settling his lanky form onto a stool. "Mack asked if I could handle any infestations that popped up today."

"Infestations? Today?" Calponia frowned. "But we had--"

She cut herself off at the warning creak from the rafters above. The front door swung open for the second time that morning, admitting the tavern's proprietor. Mack practically dragged himself inside, his usual trench covered in all manner of foul smelling fluids. Calponia hid her wince as her boss slumped into the stool next to Eugene, the vampire too polite to react to the man's stench. She recognized that foul odor.

"Gremlins? Again? Didn't we just wipe up the last infestation?"

Mack sighed. "They're like the cold sores of the multiverse. You can never fully get rid of them." He rapped a knuckle on the bar. "Whiskey neat." A glass of amber liquid rose up through the bar a moment later. He had to be exhausted if he couldn't be bothered to pour his own drink.

"You look terrible," said Calponia, tentatively making herself a cup of coffee from the now full carafe. "When was the last time you slept?"

"Three days ago. Hence asking his highness to run interference for me," said Mack with a sidelong glance at the vampire.