☼ Chapter 1 ☼

“Elliot, did you take your pill today?” My mom yelled from upstairs, where she was getting ready for a party, get together, something of that sorts. 

“Yes.” I yelled back, half groaned, upstairs. I was lying, of course. Ever since my mom said it was my responsibility to take my pills everyday, I stopped taking them. She never seems to notice how the number of pills in the bottle has gone down, she seems to think since I’m 13 I suddenly become responsible for everything around me. 

“What about your journal?” I paused. I hadn’t done that yet. I told my therapist that every day I would do my journal, or blog, per say. 

“Where’s the laptop?” I asked. There was only one laptop in the house, and another old dinosaur of a computer which could barely work.

“In the basement, your father had it last.”

I yelled an ok up to her and headed down to the basement, also known as my father’s ‘man cave‘. I was careful to make not much noise, I didn’t want any of the zombies to hear that I was making an entrance. The basement always scared me, and I rarely went into it. Only when I had to. Ghosts live down here, zombies too. I don’t know how my father spends so much time in here. It’s just pure evil.

I felt something grab my shoulder. My first instinct was to freeze up. My arms stopped shivering from the cold of the basement and my heart started skipping beats. I slowly turned around, and I found myself faced to face with a monster. It’s face was contorted and the monster’s lips were slit from ear to ear, scars covered it’s face, and it had tatted black hair that stuck up in all sorts of places. The monster was about to take a bite into me, when a fell to the ground. “No, no no. Leave me alone. No.” I whimpered, the monster just growled and tried to take a bit at my leg. I backed up at last moment, trying to get as far as I could away from this creature. “GO AWAY!” I shouted, and I backed up more until I slammed into the wall. I didn’t cry often, but I felt tears backing up in my eyes. I shut them tightly, and blocked my face. 

“HELP!” I screamed. The monster soon caught up to me, and I had no where to go. I was trapped in between the walls. It suddenly leaned down to take a bite of my foot, but before it did it disappeared. I was shocked. A tear managed to escape my eye, and it dropped down my cheek. A bundle of footsteps began marching down the stairs, and I shielded my eyes. No, I couldn’t take this anymore, why did of all houses my parents have to choose the haunted ones? I laid my head in my lap and brought my chest to my knees, wrapping my arms around my legs. I began doing a rocking motion. “No, no, no, no.” I whisper to myself. The rocking motion made me feel calmer, but in the inside I was still freaking out. 

My mother suddenly rushed down to the basement. I could tell it was her because of the click of her heels. “Oh my god, he’s having another panic attack.” I heard her say. I heard another heavy step down the floor, which was my father. My chest hurt like crazy, but I kept on rocking. My heart, instead of skipping beats, was beating faster then I ever believe it could. I whimpered a bit. I heard another two pair of footsteps, which I knew were my sister’s. “What’s all that noise? I’m trying to do my homework up here, bu-” I couldn’t tell if it was Emma or Elise’s voice. 

I suddenly felt arms around me. “Honey, are you ok?” I swacked them away. 

“Leave me alone!” I shouted, and I began rocking more. The person got up and just watched me. I heard a couple of comments exchange from my sisters like, ‘why do we have to have the retard brother?’ and it just made me shake more. What if the thing comes back? It’ll haunt my dreams, I’ll die. My parent’s won’t believe me that the basement is haunted. I started crying. My hands started shaking, and it migrated towards my other hand, and then to my whole body. 

“What do we do?” My mother said. This was the first time I had a panic attack at home. The rest I’ve had at school, or out in public. No wonder I’m the freak show of Queens. Why did I have to be born? Everybody would be better off without me. They could go places without me worrying about what hid outside of the dark world, without me zoning off in random places. I just wanted to die. “Go upstairs girls, I’ll be there in a second.” My mom said, and I heard them stomping their way back upstairs. I felt a figure come towards me. “Elliot? Look at me.” I just shook my head. I wanted to be where I was for the rest of the night. “Elliot, look at me, right now.” It took a while, but I slowly brought my head up. I knew my face was either sickly pale or beet red, but some how I thought that they wouldn’t care. “Tell me, what you saw.”

My sentences came out in slurs. “Well.. Um… I… S-saw… a… m-monster…” I couldn’t finish my sentence before putting my head back into my knees.

“It’s not real, hunny, it’s just a vision.” She said, placing a hand on my shoulder. I shrugged it off. I didn’t want her to touch me. I didn’t want anybody to touch me.

“Yes… it… WAS!” A few more tears dropped down my cheek, and one reached my lips. It tasted of salt. “It… h-had… no… lips… and… scars… all over.” My breathing rate increased, and I was trying to keep up with my breathe.

“Elliot, it’s not real.” I heard a different voice, and this time it was a manly, gruff voice. Suddenly I felt myself being picked up. 

“No, let me down! Please!” I knew it was my father picking me up and carrying me over my shoulder, and since I was still quite small, he could still pick me up. I banged on his back like a 2 year old, but it didn’t work. I was thrown down on my bed, and then my door slammed shut. 

“Let me know when you want to come out.” I heard my father say, and I didn’t disagree. I just wanted to stay here.

The last thing I remembered was laying down on my bed in defeat. I knew I had fell asleep. I checked the alarm clock by my bed, and it was quarter past 2 in the morning. I never had any dreams about the lip-less monster, but it still scarred my memory. All of the sudden, I hear a voice. “Elliot…” It said, in a very raspy voice. “Elliot…” It said again. I stood up so my back was against the bed board. “Kill yourself…” It said. I shook my head. “KILL YOURSELF, Elliot.” I shook my head now. This time, the voice was yelling. “KILL YOURSELF, ELLIOT! COMMIT SUICIDE, ELLIOT!” It said a bunch of things. I couldn’t see anything in the room but my own self. It was a voice. It often came after a panic attack. I shook my head.

“Not today.”

---

Yay! First chapter done. I hope this was good idea of what a panic attack might be, I still have a little research to be done about Schizophrenia for this story. But anyways, on the side is a picture of the wonderful Chandler Riggs, the person who plays Elliot. I have also uploaded more cast.

- Riley