The Lost Planet - Attack

"Show me," asked Carver, welcoming the distraction. At least he could get a first hand look at the challenge before him. "Let's deal with this now. We can get back to the details of the contract later." 

The Princess nodded. "Kelior, please get the Warrior a sword, would you?" 

Kelior led him into a small room nearby which was half full of swords and other weapons racked against the walls. Carver spent a couple of moments seeking the largest blade. It was bright silver, with a strip of black sturdy leather bound around the grip, and a simple ball-shaped pommel. To his surprise, it fit comfortably into his hand as if it had been born for it. Kelior chose a smaller blade and another bow, larger than the one she had been carrying. 

"Follow me," she directed, leading the way to a staircase which had been hidden in the corner of the room. They wound their way up the narrow circular steps, Carver ducking his head to fit. "This will take us up above ground, to the ramparts." Kelior explained. "The sun set a few moments ago so it will be getting dark. That's when the Bursas attack most often."  

Eventually they came out onto the roof of the Palace, a flat platform surrounded on three sides by a low wall.  

"Here," said Kelior, crossing to look over one of the walls. "We should get a clear view." 

Carver stood at her side, peering over the edge. He saw an armsman down in the street, facing a large green creature the size of a small Martian hover-car, and realised Kelior hadn't been joking. The monster had three heads and five snake-like tails which it was whipping around in an attempt to grab hold of the armsman. It looked uncommonly like an image Carver had once seen of an ancient Earth creature - a Velociraptor. Except with three heads instead of one.  

Kelior notched an arrow into her bow and drew back, looking for a clear shot.  

"How do you kill them?" asked Carver urgently, wondering whether the Bursa had three brains to go with the heads. "Where is the best spot to aim for?" 

"The centre head is the important one," said Kelior. "Aim either for the point between its eyes or else in the chest just below the centre neck." 

"So if I cut off the middle head, that should kill it?"  

Kelior raised an eyebrow. "I'm sure it would. And you might just be strong enough to do it too." She mused. 

The armsman down below was hacking at the nearest head with his blade. Two of the tails had caught him round the waist and he was simply slashing at whatever he could reach. Kelior let the arrow loose but it hit the monster in the side of the neck. Green ichor flowed from the wound, spattering the armsman. He screamed and slashed more frenziedly.  

"I'm disgusted, I'm repulsed... And I can't look away," murmured Carver. "But this isn't getting the job done." In a flash he clambered onto the wall and, to Kelior's astonishment, floated gracefully down to street level.  

Carver had his sword in his hand and in two strokes, freed the trapped man, who staggered back against the wall, wiping futilely at the green fluid on his face. With another powerful blow from his strong arms, Carver saw all three of the monster's heads fly off and bounce along the street.  

He watched for a moment to make sure the Bursa was really dead before spinning around to check for more. Kelior, meanwhile, had climbed down the Palace wall and come to stand at his side. She had her sword in one hand, her bow in the other and her eyes were shining. "Oorah! Let's clear the streets, Warrior!" 

~~~ 

Carver and Kelior managed to dispose of four more Bursas before the remainder fled. When they ran, the creatures twisted their tails into one thick spiral, which made them more streamlined and provided better balance. The two warriors watched as the last three creatures disappeared down the street and into the night.