The Voices Beneath

The Voices Beneath

He stands at the end of a long narrow hallway. Black doors line the walls and lead to unknown places, and the faint lights on the ceiling gives off a dark yellow hue. As the man slowly walks towards the nearest door his footstep echoes throughout the hallway. Each step brings him closer to the memory he can't seem to stop reliving. His hand reaches out to turn the doorknob.

The door creaks open and he enters into a dark musky room. It's a familiar room. He enters it every night. There is a small reading lamp in the corner that occasionally flickers on and off, just like the night of her death. He looks down at the bed where his wife and he lay. Edom is breathing heavily seemingly asleep, and his wife, Julie, is reading her book under the light. Edom watches in horror as he knows what happens next.

"Edom, are you awake?" Julie asks. After knowing her husband is sleeping she gets up and sets the book down upon the bed. She than walks over the clothes drawer.

"Julie! Stop please!" Edom calls out, but she cannot hear him. She can't even see him. Edom runs over to himself that's laying on the bed. He pleads for him to wake up. To stop Julie, but just like every other time, Edom does not awake from his sleep, and Julie puts the gun to her head and pulls the trigger.

Suddenly, Edom is back into the hallway. By now he is sprinting to the next door. As he frantically reaches out to rip it open he comes back empty. As he looks down he sees that the door is bound by a lock and chains, thus preventing him from entering.

Right at that moment he hears a scream from the other side of the door. In his desperate moment and unknowing what to do he throws all his weight against the door. It doesn't budge and the screaming goes silent.

"Julie!" Edom screams.

Than, Edom looks down the hallway to see water seeping through the crack underneath a door. As he sprints towards it, he notices the water beginning to gush harder and harder out from underneath. He can feel his stomach drop right out of his body. The water is drowning the only person he loves, and the only thing separating them is a flimsy piece of wood called a door.

Without thinking, Edom pulls open the door. As the barricade from the water flies open a gush of steam knocks Edom on his feet. As he lands he comes into contact with dry floor. While keeping his eyes closed as hard as he can, Edom can feel the ground beneath him growing hotter. His eyes burst open. The room around him is swimming in fire and sparks.

As he looks across the room he gets a quick glimpse of Julie, his wife, running towards him. Than, without any warning the building collapses around them.

Edom wakes up in a pool of sweat. His clothes are sticking to his skin, and a steady heartbeat can be heard pounding against his eardrum. His breathing is unsteady as he walks to the window overlooking the city.

It's a full moon and brighter than any other night. Edom seems to be in a trance when he hears her voice.

Edom, you must do it today. You have wasted to much time already.

He pounds his fist against the wall.

People who deserve do die, Edom! They're all walking the streets. Living life like nothing is wrong. You must bring a stop to this. And soon. You must avenge my death. All the people who caused me to not want to live anymore do not deserve to live.

The voice of his wife fades into the depth of Edom's mind. It fades and mixes in with all the other voices that seem to jumble together in a big mess of confusion. Words of lies. Words of mockery and death. Words of inception that ignites a spark of ideas that could change a life forever. These voices seem to never go away. They seem to challenge all sense of reality and refuse to listen to what is just.