Prologue

[[A/N: 5/22/14, I am trying to edit this, as it desperately needs it, each chapter that has been edited will have the word EDITED before the chapter, it still wont be perfect but hopefully it'll be a bit better.]]

EDITED Prologue:

"You'll do as I say, is that clear girl?"

I cringed, staring up into the face of a monster.  He was tall, and as thin as a skeleton with a pale complexion.  His skin seemed to be so thin it was nearly see-through, and the monsters red eyes glinted at me as his snake-like face flared in anger at my not answering him immediately.  

"Yes, My Lord." I bowed just as my father had instructed me to. Taking a deep breath, I attempted to calm my breathing and erratic heartbeat; though it wasn't helping much.

My thoughts were going round and round, how could I be expected to kill a man?  My old professor at that, who I'd always taken an extreme liking to.  I couldn't even kill an ant that had bitten me, much less a man who had actual feelings and thought processes, who had friends and family.  Did my father honestly want me to do this?

"You have one week to kill Remus Lupin, now leave my sight."

I walked as quickly as possible out of the room, trying to hold back the flood of tears that were trying to escape. My throat felt as if I was being choked, and at the moment, all I wanted was my dad.

"Spencer." His calming voice, usually so emotionless and dark was now tinted with worry. "Come, we'll go home." I took his hand, not embarrassed over the fact that even at age sixteen, I still needed my father. With a loud pop and a highly uncomfortable sensation of being pulled through a tight, very thin rubber tube, we were standing inside of our house on Spinner's End.

"What does he want of you, Spencer?"

"T-t-to kill someone!" The sobs broke loose, and even though my father hates it when people show emotions, especially sadness, he led me over to our couch before sitting down with me, letting me rest my head on his shoulder. "I can't do it! I can't even kill a fly, how am I suppose to-to..." I trailed off when my father began to stroke my long black hair.

"Who?"

"Professor Lupin!  I couldn't even kill a stranger if it was required of me, how am I supposed to kill a man I actually know and like?" I sniffed my nose before sitting up and wiping my eyes pathetically. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cry."

I suppose my father chose to ignore that apology, since he didn't say anything but continued to sit next to me staring off into space. After several minutes, he stood up and strode to his room without once looking back at me. I attempted to do the same thing, but I stole a glance at his closed door before shutting my own.  I felt rejected and I didn't know how to handle that on top of what I was already feeling.

~*~*~*~*~

The next week went by too quickly, and while I had been trying to find Remus Lupin I couldn't.  Granted, I wasn't trying to find and kill him, but I needed to find him and warn him that the Dark Lord was putting a price on his head.  However, it was as if he had disappeared off the face of the Earth, and by the time Lord Voldemort called me in to speak with him, I was terrified. Even my father looked beyond worried.

Before I walked through the door that led to the most terrifying man on Earth, my dad kissed my forehead and pulled me into a hug. His scent, always smelling of some potion or another, enveloped me and I breathed it in deeply, loving the way it made me feel safe. No matter what anyone else said, Severus Snape was a good man and I loved him with all my heart.

We walked in together, I was feeling extremely faint. My knees were shaking, heart racing and hands were sweating profusely.  

"She was not able to complete the task, My Lord." My father bowed and I copied his movement to the best of my ability.

"If she can't complete something as simple as killing Lupin, then she is of no use to me! Dispose of her, Severus." Voldemort stood up before walking out of the room as if he owned the place, though this was the Malfoy's mansion.

My father pointed his wand at me, and I froze. He wouldn't kill me, right? He's my dad!  His face looked sad, as if he knew what I was thinking and was disappointed in me for thinking so little of him, but his wand in my face said he was about to do something terrible and I had no way of knowing what it was, so I assumed the worst.

"Find me." He whispered, before a bright orange light shot out from his wand and I was knocked backwards. I let the black enclose around me, wondering all the while how my own father could do this to me.