Two weeks later...

Aunt Marge was signing people in at the door to the baby shower. Someone came up to the table and she looked up to see a tall, pale stranger standing in front of her. He was in a perfect black suit that matched his shoulder-length, jet-black hair. He smiled, but it wasn't a warm smile. Aunt Marge would later describe the expression as sarcastic and sardonic bordering on sadistic. The grin sent chills down Marge's back.

"Hello," he said, his voice cold and calculating. He seemed to be waiting for Aunt Marge to sign him in, but she had never seen him before in her life, and she was pretty sure that her sister and her sister's husband never had either. She kept close tabs on her sister. Creepily close tabs.

"Um, a-and you are??" Marge stammered.

"Loki Laufeyson." His smile had disappeared, replaced by a slight disapproving frown. "Of Asgard."

Marge just looked down at the guest list in shock and checked off his name. She didn't know what else to do. "Um...w-welcome, Mr...Asgard? Mr. Laufeyson?"

The man had already walked off. Marge was beyond relieved to be free from under his calculating gaze, but she couldn't keep her eyes off of him. She watched him as he strolled over to the gift table and put down a bulging pastel gift bag decorated with baby mythical animals. Marge could've sworn that he hadn't been carrying anything when he came in.

Erik was over at the drink table, getting a drink for his wife when he noticed the dark stranger. He went over to him and stuck out his hand with a quizzical expression on his face.

"Hey, I don't think I know you. Are you one of Mary's relatives?" He tried to keep his voice friendly, but he was a little concerned nonetheless. This guy just gave him a really unsettling vibe.

The man in the perfect black suit just looked down at the husband's hand and said, "The pertinent question is: who are you?"

The husband looked a little taken-aback. "I am Erik, Mary's-"

"Oh, you're the father?" The stranger interrupted with heavy contempt "Well, I'm the godfather. Meaning that I am the father of this child who is actually a god; I am Loki Laufeyson, god of mischief and rightful king of Asgard. Now, this party is dreadfully dull, so where is the mother-to-be? I want to meet her and get out of here as quickly as possible." Loki looked around and spotted Mary over in the corner. "There she is."

He walked off leaving Erik to stare after him in shock.

------

Mary was sitting on the couch, laughing with two of her old friends from college when a man dressed all in black approached her. She looked up at him expectantly, wondering who he was. His expression startled her. He looked arrogant and clever with a slight mad glint in his gaze.

"Can I help you?" Mary asked hesitantly.

Instantly the man's expression changed, blossoming into a warm smile that was sweet but a little sad. "So you're the mother? When are you due?" His voice was smooth and cold but not unkind.

Mary smiled, "5 weeks."

The man smiled softly.

"I'm sorry," Mary apologized, "but I didn't catch your name."

The man responded proudly, "I'm her godfather, Loki Laufeyson."

Mary just looked at him. She tried to keep her face neutral and her tone even. "Loki? Is that a joke?"

The man looked confused and slightly offended. "No it is not. I am Loki of Asgard. Was it a joke when you invited me?"

Mary responded without thinking, "Yes! It was! Loki is a Norse myth!"

The man rolled his eyes, "I am not a myth. I know you mortals no longer believe in Asgardians and the 9 realms preferring instead to place all your faith in your 'science', but let me tell you, science doesn't teach you everything. And science certainly won't be a supportive godfather to your little girl as I intend to be. She will grow up believing in the so-called 'myths' and by knowing of them she will be more prepared for the real world than all of her playmates. I shall visit again once she is born. The egg should hatch about that time." Loki snapped his fingers and disappeared. Mary sat staring at the spot that the man had just occupied for a solid minute.

When they opened the gifts later that night, Erik and Mary found a card in the pastel bag with the mythical beasts on it. It was addressed 'little Valkyrie to be and parents' on the front and inside they found a short congratulation note to Mary, three blank sheets of paper tied with string with a tag saying 'can only be read by child on her 18th birthday', and a booklet titled 'Care Instructions for your Norwegian Wyrm Dragon'. The package contained a pair of daggers with dark green handles and sheaths and silver blades in an ornamented box and a huge egg that looked like it was made out of rock.