The Invitation

"Um, honey?" A very-pregnant blond called into the kitchen to her husband.

"Yeah?"

"These baby shower invitations have a space for 'godfather'. Who are we going to put down?" Mary said.

Her husband, Erik, was distracted with fixing the sink. "I don't know, um...how about your brother?"

Mary poked her head into the kitchen in disbelief, "John? He's in prison!"

"Oh yeah, that wouldn't be good." Erik was trying to find the right sized wrench, "how about my brother?"

"You don't have a brother."

"I don't?"

Mary shook her head in disbelief and reached down carefully to pull her husband out from under the sink. "Look, honey, I don't think you can concentrate on finding a good godfather for our little girl while fixing the sink."

Erik allowed himself to be drawn out. He stood and went over to the counter. "I don't know who we should put down. My only good friend that I can think of is Gary Shores, but that man should never be allowed anywhere near a child. Ever. Maybe we should just leave the spot blank?"

Mary grimaced, "No, I don't want to do that. It will look like we don't have any friends."

"Well, clearly we don't." Erik looked down at his screwdriver set for a flat-head, and changed the subject. "Are you still asking for that Norse Myth baby book?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Well, my parents told me Norse myths as a kid, and they scared me to death."

"Oh, don't worry about that. This book is child friendly. It is mostly just fun stories with the main characters, you know, Odin, Thor, Loki -"

Erik snapped his fingers in realization, interrupting his wife, "Loki!"

Mary looked at her husband in confusion, "what?"

"Loki can be the godfather!" Erik seemed really excited about his idea.

"What?" Mary still had no idea what he was talking about.

"C'mon hun, it would be funny!! We can put down 'Loki Laufeyson' as the godfather! It would be hilarious!"

Mary laughed and planted a kiss on her husband's lips. "You're so cute when you're excited. Okay, but you write it in, so everyone will know it was your idea."

Erik grinned and whipped out a pen. He inked in 'Loki Laufeyson' in the blank and even put him on the guest list.