|| 36 ||

Naina pulled a pillow over her ears as the doorbell trilled. As she heard Rama issuing some instructions to Shanta bai who had arrived to do her chores for the day, she deduced that it must be about half-past eight. A small, content smile blossomed in her heart. There is almost nothing as satisfying as sleeping in late on a Monday morning when the rest of the world is rushing by!

The wedding was just six days away, and it was the first day of Naina's four-week leave. A whole month off from work! She thought excitedly and then rolled her eyes at herself. Seriously Naina! Shouldn't you be more excited that you are getting married rather than time-off from work??

Recalling something, she suddenly jumped out of the bed and stumbled to the phone. Dialing it, she suppressed a yawn. A few quick pleasantries were exchanged when Vishakha answered the call, till Vishakaha handed over the phone to the person for whom it was truly meant.

"Hi!!!" Both the girls squealed almost simultaneously. "I was expecting you to call at six!" Deepika chuckled. Naina laughed as she replied "I had considered setting an alarm, but then decided to let you catch some sleep. How was your journey? And how is Ollie?"

After chatting for a few minutes, they ended the call.

Rama called from the kitchen door "I have made your tea and toast. Let's finish off labelling those steel plates I have bought for the neighbors before you head out to meet Deepika. And yes, on the way back stop by Sharma Auntie's place and check if the Shewai are ready. Also, she has some new plate decorations. Pick whichever you like."

Naina muttered to herself "What is this obsession with everything being homemade? Then, it doesn't matter whose home was it made it!" But she knew only too well not to question her mother and grandmother's logic in these matters. Instead, she nodded her head and helped her mother with some of the preparations before heading to Ahmedabad.

The day was happily spent, catching up with Deepika and Oliver. The rest of the Somanis and Kabir were scheduled to arrive two days later.

Sameer had been at work during the morning half but returned home for a late lunch. Vishakha watched in pleasure as the two young couples engaged in some light banter over lunch.

Deepika teased "Bhai, I never knew that you are so interested in ladies' fashion. Mom and Naina were telling me earlier how long you took to select just one outfit!" Oliver smirked "Deepu, it not about ladies' fashion... it's only for a particular lady's fashion!"

Sameer groaned "Not you two too!" He then rolled his eyes "There is no pleasing women! It's a problem if I am not interested in the shopping. And it's still a problem if I am interested!" Naina retorted "Only when you are way too interested! We spent close to three hours selecting that one outfit!"

Deepu shared from her own experience "Don't worry... his newfound enthusiasm won't last too long. Let see if you are still complaining when you celebrate your first anniversary." Glaring at her husband she muttered "Already Ollie has started making excuses to get out of shopping with me..." For some time, Olive tried to persuade his wife that spending time with her was still his top priority!

Post lunch, all the youngsters headed out to finish off some shopping for Deepika and Oliver.

While Deepika was trying to choose some complementary outfits for herself and her husband, Naina scuttled closer to Sameer and pouted "Why won't you share where we are going for the honeymoon?? I can't decide what to shop..."

He shrugged "Stop trying to weasel it out of me. It's a surprise. I have already shared the essentials in terms of number of days and expected weather. Anyways, I will help you pack. And we can always shop when we get there..." His eyes twinkled with mischief as he quipped "And I am fine if you decide to treat clothes as optional." Scowling she retorted instantly "What sort of place is this? Where clothes are optional!" He drawled "Well, considering it's our honeymoon... I think, every place..." She gasped loudly as his words sunk in. Smacking his arm, she moved closer to Deepika, leaving him softly chuckling to himself.