029

1000? 2000? Ivar wasn't quite sure of the numbers but he was certain that it would be enough to defeat Bjorn and take over Kattegat once again

1000? 2000? Ivar wasn't quite sure of the numbers but he was certain that it would be enough to defeat Bjorn and take over Kattegat once again. After all Bjorn was old and would likely fall to his death just by walking out into the winter breeze, there was nothing he could do to stop him.

Ivar had lived with the Rus for many months, years even, he had learnt some new tricks and tactics. Though fighting with his family was something that had always happened, he never expected it to go as far as war. He had killed one of his siblings before, perhaps on accident but he could easily do it again.

He had been alone for many months before Hvitisirk finally showed his face, Gods he hadn't expected their sisters death to take such an effect on his brother. Hvitisirk had always looked out for Ivar and now it was his turn to return the favour.

But that was all such a long time ago now, now he was sat atop of his chariot with Igor by his side looking out into the mist that covered the hills in front of him. He hadn't expected it to be this foggy when he had picked the location, it now served as a strength to his opponents.

They had been standing out in the cold for some time before the great army walked out of the cloud. Bjorn led the way on his horse with Ubbe by his side as they approached. Ivar smirked as he seen the numbers, they didn't stand a chance.

"It shall be easy to dispose of these vermin" commented one of Oleg's hairy men.

Hvitisirk cringed, after all this was friends and family that he was going to be fighting, it will be their blood on his hands.

Bjorn stared directly at Ivar when they stopped, Ubbe's deep blue eyes fixed on their other brother. This was personal, it wasn't about land or territory this war was about each other. Hvitisirk betrayed Ubbe and sided with Ivar, he also killed Lagertha. Ivar was a selfish prick who cared for no one but himself, killing seemed to be his satisfaction.

The brothers watched as Floki came into view, Ivar couldn't believe what he was seeing, he had expected him to be dead by now yet here he was. And siding with Ubbe and Bjorn, the Gods just wanted some real entertainment didn't they.

The whole Rus army shifted in their stance when the northern army split off into two, leaving a large gap in between them. At first Ivar believed this was part of some plan to try and instigate the fight, fire perhaps? But oh how wrong he was.

Both his and Hvitisirk's pupils widened when a dark haired woman began walking towards them, two tall figures behind her, two small figures in front. The walk alone told them exactly who it was, that and her unique black war paint.

"It's impossible" Hvitisirk whispered loud enough that only Ivar could hear.

"You told me she was dead." Ivar growled back when she stopped in the middle of Ubbe and Bjorn.

"S-she's supposed to be, Ubbe told me himself. He saw the body."

"Have you ever considered that you shouldn't fucking listen to anything that Ubbe says" Ivar snapped.

From what it looked like Isi left what they suspected was her family behind and continued her approach. Hvitisirk could see one of the young men that was behind her grip onto his sword tighter, Hvitisirk eyebrows furrowed.

Isi stopped a few meters away from them. "I die and you're trying to kill each other. What way is that to honour me, by joining me? What would Mother think?"

Gods it had been a long time since they had thought of their mother. She had been dead many, many years and quite frankly the brothers had mostly forgotten what she looked like, their childhood seem to be blur.

Hvitisirk watched her dark eyes glance down towards his belt and began to tear instantly. Following his line of site he came to the red stained dagger that had once saved her life, he had kept it ever since Ubbe and Sigurd had returned it. Oh if Sigurd could see them now....Hvitisirk would take a guess and say he was relishing in this knowing he was right about Ivar all along.

The moment was suddenly interrupted by an arrow flying straight towards her, missing her head by a centimetre. Ivar didn't miss the way a tall figure she was with anxiously and aggressively stepped forward, sword tight in his hands as if he was going to shed blood. He seemed way to young to be the husband, son maybe, it had been many years though it didn't seem long enough to match his age.

A loud thud came from behind them not even 10 seconds later. All eyes turned to the source of the noise to find that Olegs hairy companion had fallen off in horse in a bloody mess, an arrow head now poking out of his back. 

With frantic eyes Ivar scanned Bjorn's army to find the culprit while the sound of swords being drawn came from the bodies around him. Isi backed up slowly, it was clear that this was not the outcome she had expected.

Finally both Hvitisirk and Ivar had spotted the cause of this, a small blonde haired boy standing at the front of the crowd. It was easy to see that he was around the height of a 10 year old, though he had much more skill then a child.

And that exact child had just started the battle, not knowing if he would ever come out of it alive.