Chapter 1

Miss Lily calls upstairs. "Kids, there are people here to adopt!" I have lived in a group home for nearly 3 months. I'll be aging out soon, as will my bandmates.

I put on my All Time Low necklace, MCR wristbands, Sleeping With Sirens snapback, and Pierce The Veil hoodie. I look in the mirror. It is very obvious that I'm very emo.

I'm scared of being adopted again. It didn't go well the first time. My arms and thighs are covered in self-inflicted cuts but my back is covered in scars from being repeatedly hit by a belt.

I go downstairs on my crutches. I sit in the main room. I begin writing in my lyric book, my acoustic guitar in my lap. I am working on another song. I have about 17. I watch my bandmates come in.

I continue playing and I watch them watch me. "Another one? Are you looking to release an EP before a full length album?" I nod. "Which songs were you thinking for each?" We begin discussing it and I quietly strum out Saviour.

I look up and see All Time Low. I tap my book twice and they all look up. Alex comes over. "The four of you all seem pretty close." I hear Kyra. "We're in a band together." "Well, do you guys know our band?" We all nod. Alex's hand comes closer to me and I flinch.

He pulls it back. "Is that an All Time Low necklace?" I pick it up in my hand and nod. I unclip it from around my neck and hand it to him. He looks at it and then puts his hand out with it in it. I grab it and clip it around my neck again.

"What are your names, what instruments do you play, and what are your ages?" "The girl that you were just talking to is Rachel. She plays guitar, sings, and she can; although, she doesn't frequently, play bass, piano, flute, and pretty much anything you put in front of her. She is 17." I give Miss Lily a small smile.

They begin introducing themselves. "I'm Kyra. I'm 17, only a few months away from being 18. I play guitar, violin, piano, and ukulele." "I'm Reggie. I play bass, flute, and I can play piano. I'm 16, a few weeks away from turning 17." "I'm Kenny. I play drums. I'm 16- Wait, what is today's date?"

I tap my watch and show him. Happy Birthday! They have all been pretty good about learning sign language to communicate with me. "Apparently, I am 17." I roll my eyes. They share a look. "We all know who we are adopting."

Miss Lily points them to a room. "I'll be in with you guys in a moment." They go in. What if I have to go alone? "I'll make it clear to them you are not comfortable without your bandmates." I let myself relax some.

She goes into the other room. They all come out about 20 minutes later. "Alright! All four of you could pack your bags!" My eyes light up. Really? She smiles and nods.

I go up to my room and begin packing. I hear a voice behind me. "Do you need help?" I jump and then shake my head. I grab my phone. "I know sign language, just so you know." Please don't come up behind me without warning. Please don't touch me as well. Who adopted me?

"I adopted you, Jack adopted Kyra, Rian adopted Kenny, and Zack adopted Reggie. We all live together, though." I nod a little. "Do you mind me asking what happened that left you so scared?" I look at him and then turned around, lifting up the back of my sweatshirt.

"That's awful. They still look fairly fresh." 3 months. "Wow, I'm sorry." I shrug. I see Kyra come in with Jack. "I haven't seen you comfortable enough to be alone in a room with a guy since middle school." I trust him.

She smiles. "What makes him different?" The state already had to pay me, I don't think they are gonna risk that again. She nods. "Do you need help bringing anything down?" I nod and point to my two suitcases.

I grab both of my guitars and Kyra grabs my bass. We carry everything downstairs and to the van. We get to a large house. I recognize it as Alex's house, just extended and with an additional floor. I notice there is a few new horses as well.

I bring the guitars. "I can't believe you are holding those while on crutches." We go inside. "Woah." I giggle a little. "Basically, we were looking to adopt older kids. You guys can have the whole upstairs. It's a full house on both levels, we were figuring older kids might want to have more of their own space. You guys are welcome to eat with us or be down here as often as you please."

Kyra signs to me. You need to eat with someone. Alex gives me a curious look. Do any other members of your band know sign language? He shakes his head. I was diagnosed with anorexia. It's a result of the abuse at my first adoptive house. He would call me fat. It really messed with me.

He has a look of understanding and he nods. Can I go upstairs? He nods. I begin moving and Kyra stops me. If there is a bigger room you can have it. I nod. I go upstairs and find a room. It is pretty large. I hear the door open and I see Alex.

He has my remaining bags. "Can I give you my phone number? You can text me anything else you need or want." I nod and pull out my phone. I type in his phone number as he gives it to me. I send him a quick message. Hi. He smiles.

"Alright, I'll let you unpack as you wish. Oh, wait. I'll be back in a minute." He returns with poster strips. "I noticed you have posters. These will hold them up and not ruin them." I nod. He leaves and I begin setting up my room. There is a big dresser with a TV under it.

I put my guitar racks on either side. I have way more guitar spaces than I need, but I love having it all. I see a door in the back of the closet. I open it and there is a note. Hey kid, you can use this however you like. It is set up as a recording studio. The upstairs is an exact copy of the downstairs. The room is soundproof, as is your bedroom, so feel free to play as loud as you wish, just try not to hurt your hearing. Leave a note if you'll be in here an extended period of time.

I write on a piece of paper. I'll be in the other room if you need me. I place it on my bed and bring my laptop and guitar inside. I begin figuring it out.

Eventually, I have the five songs recorded. I feel my phone vibrate. Kids, we have presents for you guys! I go downstairs.