Chapter 18: Different from Us

Rosalyn Tamlin

Rosalyn had only felt what it was like to be a prisoner once before today. The car ride back had been a flurry of tears and fear. For the most part, Anna couldn't stop herself from worrying about what had happened to her boyfriend. She felt as though she wasn't safe anymore. She actually said that. It was as if they were safe before.

"Your names?"

"Rosalyn Tamlin."

"Anna...Correa..."

"Isaac Tamlin..."

"...Claire Dolzaev."

"Ages?"

"Twenty-two."

"Twenty-five..."

"Twenty-two..."

"Seven."

"All right. Our Supreme Leader will be in shortly in order to question you. Don't get your hopes up. We're fairly strict on our entrances here."

When the man left the room, Rosalyn sneered in his direction. He'd been a general ass for the entirety of the time he was explaining what this place was. It was called Crawford, named after Doctor Oberson, and it was some sort of city within a city. When they loaded the four of them onto that truck, Rosalyn felt as though they were being hustled into a police car. She'd only been arrested one time before, and she never wanted it to happen again.

The building where they were used to be a police station, and the box they were sitting in was used for questioning. The only thing here was a long wooden table and a bunch of cameras that no longer worked along with a giant mirror lining the wall. They couldn't see Rosalyn's plan to escape...

"All right, guys, I have a plan." She whispered to them. She didn't want to be around when Oberson showed up. She wasn't going to let Isaac meet the man... He was too gullible. "The moment one of the guards comes back in, I jump him, and you-"

"What's the point...?" Anna asked, sulking into her seat. "We're already here... Maybe this place is like they're saying... Maybe it is safe..."

Rosalyn sighed. "Anna, you saw this guy on the streets just as much as I did. If you believed that, you would have gone with him the first time."

"The first time... Larry was in the restroom..." She broke down into tears one more time. Rosalyn couldn't lie. She had shed a few of her own, but just the sheer amount of tears this woman had was unbearable. He had died three hours ago, and she hadn't stopped crying since.

"It's...alright..." Isaac said, tears in his own eyes. He was very sweet to her the whole time. Rosalyn didn't know how he was able to put up with it. "He's...he's in a better place now..."

"The only place he's at right now, is in the ground!" Anna screamed.

"Yeah..." He sighed. "That's...a better place than here..."

"He isn't in the ground." Rosalyn said, before Anna could lash out at her brother. She looked as though she were ready to explode with emotion at a moment's notice. "He's on the side of the road."

"Don't remind me, bitch!" She yelled. "Do you forget who put him there! It was your fucking fault!"

Rosalyn knew what she was saying was cold, but she couldn't stand hearing this anymore. She had tried to be caring when this first started, but it was beginning to grow into the annoying category. "It was no one's fault! I was going to die. He was the one who decided to come down and try to help me. He got himself killed."