thirteen

-//-

(Pierre//Ryn Weaver)

1st of November, Friday, 1973

"You have an unhealthy addiction, and we need to discuss it," Dorcas chastised Andrea, not lifting her head off of the bed she was resting on. 

Andrea pulled her lollipop out with a smack and grinned at her friend. "Dee, this is how I concentrate," Andrea explained, putting her cherry lollipop back in her mouth. "Addict," Dorcas sing-songed. 

Andrea grabbed the pillow behind her and chucked it at the spare bed Dorcas was occupying. Dorcas flawlessly grabbed the pillow and hugged it. 

She sat up and slowly approached Andrea's bed. Resting against one of the posts of Andrea's bed, she looked at her warily.

"What's the word, hummingbird?" Andrea asked her, closing the book she had been reading, True Animagus Transformation. "Feelin' chill, daffodil," Dorcas joked back. Moving Andrea's book out of the way, Dorcas took a seat in front of her and faced her friend.

"OK? What's really up?" Andrea questioned, moving a little back from Dorcas. "I have a question, but I don't want the question to make you stop being my friend. So - could you keep an open mind for the next three minutes?" Dorcas asked, more serious than Andrea had ever seen her.

"My mind is always open," she responded with a smile. Dorcas gave her a look. "What? My mind is so open flies could go straight through," Andrea protested. Dorcas smirked. "No arguments here," she chuckled. Andrea smacked her arm.

"Not what I meant. Come on, spill. I'm on the edge of my seat here." Dorcas took a deep breath and looked at Andrea, her eyes almost worried. "How close are you with Marlene McKinnon?" she said so quickly that Andrea almost didn't catch it. Seeing as Dorcas was keeping her serious demeanour, Andrea took the matter seriously. She considered it for a bit. "The girl in my year I've gotten closest to is Mary, but Marlene is really cool. All those girls are. She's very friendly yet very confident. Why d'you ask?"

"Do you know if she likes anyone?" Dorcas mumbled, fiddling with the loose threads of the pillow she was holding. Andrea gave her a gentle smile. "She and Sirius had a thing, last year, I think. But that's dead a buried. Since then, I haven't heard her mention anyone or seen her with anybody." 

Dorcas nodded slowly and looked at Andrea, pleading with her eyes. "Could you introduce us?" she mumbled. Andrea smiled teasingly.

"Speak up. Ravenclaws don't mumble girly. They're proud and arrogant and know-it-all's and-"

"COULD YOU INTRODUCE US?!" Dorcas yelled, shaking her shoulders. Andrea chuckled, releasing Dorcas' grip on her arms.

"OK relax. Of course, I'll introduce you. But seriously, blondes? I would've thought you had better taste, Dee," she giggled. Dorcas shook her head at her. "One, you are way cooler about me coming out to you than Lucretia was. Two, as if your taste is any better. Rowdy, misbehaving brown- and black-haired boys?" Andrea pulled back.

"How are my friends my taste?" she asked, slightly disgusted. "Like you wouldn't snog any of them," Dorcas mocked. Andrea pulled a face. "Ew. Are you blind as well as dumb? Do you need to lie down?" Andrea regretted her words as soon as she saw the look on Dorcas' face.
"NO! Dee, get your fat ass off me!"

-//-

9th of November, Saturday, 1973

"Permission slips to Mister Filch!" McGonagall called loudly to the surrounding crowd. James and Andrea pulled their permission slips out and handed them over to Filch before joining the other boys.