𝟕 ᴀᴛᴛᴀᴄʜᴍᴇɴᴛ

To Kalina, it was refreshing to have the men in her home

To Kalina, it was refreshing to have the men in her home. Dinner had been uneventful, but was surprisingly filled with quite a few laughs and jabs between Bucky and Sam, and the woman thoroughly enjoyed their company. It warmed the space in her dining room to have the chatter, and she frequently found herself smiling at the two Avengers.

As much as she wanted to resent them and their team's part in the fall of Sokovia, the lighthearted banter reminded her that they, too, were human, and that she enjoyed having friends around. Though, she couldn't really call the two men friends just yet, she was happy that Helmut had inevitably led them to her penthouse. Even Sam, who had been cautious around her due to her association with the criminal they escorted, had finally relaxed into his seat with a drink in hand.

Kalina had decided to recreate a favorite dish from home, chicken paprikash, and while it was not chef quality by any means, she was thankful to have an audience to test it on. She swirled a glass of wine in her hand laughing at something Bucky had said about Sam's attitude, realizing that the two men bickered liked a married couple. Helmut had been uncharacteristically quiet during the entire meal, only nodding thank you to being served the food and follow on drinks, and smiling every so often as Kalina's laugh reminded him of a time he could never return to.

Bucky and Sam had eased into the conversations after a few drinks, and were now thoroughly engaged with Kalina about everything from the Avengers, to the weather, to Sam's family and side mission back in Louisiana. Kalina even gracefully spoke about her home, though it was a sore subject between the two Sokovians at the table, and they shared several laughs together about old memories despite the tragic ending the country had faced. Helmut had stifled a few chuckles at the stories but refused to engage. His mind was elsewhere.

"So, how old do you calculate yourself to be?" Kalina nudged at Bucky who had been picking at Sam for acting like an old man and needing to lighten up.

Rolling his eyes and laughing, the former Winter Soldier chortled. "Just turned one hundred and seven. At least I don't act like it."

He took a large swig from his glass of Cognac and Kalina let out an audible laugh. "You've really been keeping track."

Sam couldn't help but shake his head and smile. "Someone's gotta to be an adult and babysit you two on this mission."

He nodded to Helmut, who was properly seated in his chair, clearly ready to step away from the table for air. The entirety of the dinner event had been nauseating and the alcohol could not cut his anxiety. Kalina was enjoying herself, and he had been admiring her from across the room, but couldn't help feel longing for her, wishing it was he that was making her laugh again. He knew her pain ran deep from the wounds he had cut and couldn't fault her that. It was he that brought the other two men to her home, and a part of him was happy to see her beautiful smile while the other part desperately wished for a past that once was.