44. new years

Harry and I decided to invite everyone to the newly decorated Grimmauld Place for the New Year, instead of going over to the Burrow again. We've invited all the Weasley children (Molly and Arthur wanted a bit of a break), Katie and Daniel, and a bunch of Harry's Gryffindor friends.

Now, looking at the mess we'll have to clean up in the morning, I kind of wish we hadn't. George and Ron are making a big mess in the kitchen, Hermione and Ginny are trying on old clothes we were going to put out for donation, and Katie is drunk and dancing on the new coffee table.

"This was a mistake, wasn't it?" Harry sighs next to me.

"Glad we agree," I reply, and go back to the kitchen to keep an eye on Ron and George. They've found the fridge and freezer, and have decided that it's a good idea to switch everything around from one to the other.

"Merlin, boys, no," I mutter, and they turn to look at me. Now that they're distracted, I flick my wand so that everything goes back to where it belongs and padlock the fridge door.

Thank Merlin it's almost midnight. "Living room, c'mon," I say, and wave my hand so they follow me. Angelina has joined Hermione and Ginny's fashion show, and everyone has sat down to watch them.

"Liz! Join us!" Ginny cries, waving me over. Her voice is exceptionally loud, most likely due to her enormous alcohol intake this evening. We'd had a good ten bottles of wine and whiskey at the start, but everyone brought their own and there doesn't seem to be much left.

"No thanks," I start, going to sit next to Harry, but he pushes me off the couch.

"Go join them," he says.

"Yeah! Liz!" Ron whoops. Harry gives me a look and I cave in. It's like he can get me to do anything.

"Fine," I glare, going to the hallway to see what outfits the girls have picked out.

The hallway is a mess. All that time I spent cleaning out the rooms, folding the donation clothes, and putting them in boxes has been put to waste. Clothes are strewn everywhere, all over the floor and the little tables set up next to the wall. A pair of pants has somehow been flung onto the chandelier. Several outfits are laid out on the floor, some mismatched and some that actually look good, even though they were put together by drunk teenagers. I find a long, red pleated skirt and a fancy looking white blouse equipped with shoulder pads and tassels. I tie a dark green bandana around my head and turn towards Ginny.

"You look like Christmas," she says, with a slight slur. She's wearing a black trench coat with an ugly, wrinkled green skirt.

"Nice outfit," I reply.

"Christmas is over, silly!" she declares, marching back out into the living room. I roll my eyes and follow her out.

"Lovely skirt Ginny," I hear Fleur coo. "Liz, you look nice!"

I swallow and shrug. "Thanks."

Harry's eyes are on me again, drifting up and down my body. He blinks a couple of times before smiling and patting the empty spot on the couch next to him. Once I've plopped down next to him, he lays his head on my shoulder.

"These shoulder pads are comfortable," he comments. "You look great, by the way. The Christmas colors add a nice touch." I smile at him, kiss his forehead, and tangle my fingers in his hair, playing with it. I've discovered a love of playing with Harry's hair.

I listen mindlessly over the next half hour until the clock chimes 11:50 and we all gather in a circle on the living room floor.

"So," says a giggly Hermione, "today, we will be starting a tradition that will go on for years to come!"

"Hear hear!" Ron bellows.

"Let's all go in a circle and say our New Year's resolutions!"

"Wait, what?" Ron lets out a long groan. "I thought this was going to be fun," he says.

"This is fun," Hermione counters.

"No. I thought you were going to say we should have a New Year's drinking circle. Or something that lets us drink more alcohol."

"Not everything is about you, Ronald. Now, I'll start. I want to pass all my N.E.W.T.'s."

"Mione, you'll get an Outstanding in all of your N.E.W.T.'s, there's no need to rub it in."

"Ronald, it's your turn," she responds impatiently.

"Fine. I'll study more for our Auror training."

"I'll believe it when I see it," I mutter.

"I'll sleep more and study less," Ginny says.

"I'll expand to Hogsmeade this year," George says.

"I'll help George run the shop in Hogsmeade," Angelina says.

"I'll adopt that purple dragon," Charlie decides.

"I von't eat too much bevore zis baby," Fleur groans, patting her stomach.

"I'll take care of my wife during the rest of her pregnancy," Bill says.

"I'll ask out the girl I like," Neville says.

"I'll drink less," Seamus slurs. Ron snorts.

"I'll drink to that," Dean says, raising his glass. "I'll ask Neville for help in Herbology."

"You want me to tutor you?" Neville asks.

"I'm failing. Sprout says I need a tutor," Dean admits.

"Yeah, sure. I'll do it," Neville agrees. Dean smiles.

"I'll learn to cook," Daniel decides.

"I'll reconnect with all my old friends," Katie says.

It's Harry's turn. He thinks about it for a moment, before responding, "I'll do what I want to do."

I snort. "And what exactly do you want to do?" I ask.

He wiggles his eyebrows. "You'll see."

Seamus hoots. "Don't say things like that," I warn Harry. "They'll get the wrong idea."

"Ahem," Hermione clears her throat.

"Sorry. Uh, I'll open up to more people this year," I say. That sounds about right, even though it's unlikely to actually happen.

"Great, that's everyone, then," Hermione says, looking around. She flicks her wand and a large countdown clock appears in the middle of the coffee table, counting down the seconds until 1998 ends and 1999 begins.

Harry places his hand on my lower back, sliding across my waist. "I'm so glad I met you this year," he whispers into my ear. "I can't wait to spend the next year with you."

I turn towards him so that our lips are inches apart. "Can you believe we've only known each other five months?"

"Unbelievable, right?" he replies. His eyes aren't on mine, but looking down at my lips.

"Eyes up here. You can kiss me when the clock chimes midnight."

"It's 11:59. Why can't we just start early?"

"Okay!" Hermione yells. "Thirty seconds!"

"See!" Harry cries. "Let's start now."

I glare at him, which only makes him pout and tighten his grip on my waist. Hermione starts counting down, and we all join her.

Ten! Harry loosens his grip on my waist.

Nine! His hand grabs mine.

Eight! He sends me a sly grin, the one that I know means he's up to something.

Seven! He lifts my hand grasped in his.

Six! He pushes my waist slightly.

Five! I'm spinning. Four!

Three! Harry stops me and I collapse into his chest.

Two! His arms lift me off of his chest.

One! Harry's eyes meet mine, and he tilts my head to his.

"Happy New Year!" we shout, and our lips come crashing together.