Introduction

From my experience, Borderline Personality Disorder is the most stigmatized mental illness out there. I saw this while working in an addiction treatment center with these types of patients, and as I've met more people with this disorder, it's become even more apparent. I couldn't believe how many therapists and psychologists I knew who refused to work with people with BPD. That absolutely blew my mind.

Roughly 85 percent of the people I meet with BPD have, in large part, developed the disorder from childhood trauma. This trauma is typically emotional, verbal or sexual abuse. Professionals don't like working with this population because of their symptoms, and it's extremely difficult for people with BPD to maintain any type of relation, and it's heartbreaking.

I'm extremely passionate about people educating themselves about BPD to decrease the stigma, help people learn how to deal with a BPD loved one as well as help people with BPD better understand how to manage their symptoms. Most of all, it's disheartening how many "mental health advocates" we have out there who choose to stay away from BPD just because they don't like the symptoms. 

Don't ever let anyone tell you, you are untreatable! Regardless of their profession, that's their issue and not yours! In my honest opinion, it's just laziness on their part. We are all human and have issues and it takes a very strong minded and empathetic person to become a good mental health professional. I even wanted to be a social worker at a point in my life, yet fortunately I know my limitations. I may not be able to help in a professional capacity but I'm glad I can share my thoughts with others. It's not just for your benefit, this is therapeutic for me as well.