Prologue

Zane’s POV

            I sat in my small room as my parents were down stairs talking with some man, he was a stranger sure, someone I’d never meet before. But I already knew everything about him, the second he came through our front door I knew why he was here and with an emotionless face I just sat there in the middle of my room, not listening to their conversation. There was no need; I knew what was being said.

            My parents were giving me away, I knew it would happened eventually. They were scared of me, everyone was. The second they found out about what I could do. I should have expected this, in fact, I had, yet somehow something inside me hurt at the knowledge that my parents didn’t want me.

            The moment I’d come home from the hospital, they hadn’t wanted me. I’d been the unwanted invisible child, growing up in this house of cold and loneliness, I suppose getting out would make any normal person happy.

            But I couldn’t be happy, because I’d seen what that stranger wanted, what he was going to do. And none of it was good.

            Hearing footsteps coming up the stairs, I stared at my door and watched as it opened to reveal my father, he didn’t even look me in the eyes, he had this theory that’s where I got what I did, he was wrong.

            “Come down stairs, Akuma.” He said simply. I did as he said, registering he has called me devil in his original language, Japanese. He was original from Japan, I was half Japanese myself, so I knew the language, I don’t know why he thought I wouldn’t know what I said. Or maybe he did know I would understand and just didn’t care.

            When I stepped into the living room I saw the strange man and wanted to flinched but kept my whole body emotionless as I stood there, waiting for someone to say something. I knew what was to come, they would tell me I was leaving with him to go to some place, they’d probably say it was someplace better but I knew that was a lie.

            “Zane, my name is Aleksander Leskov.” The stranger said, but that was something I had already known, a name I’d heard my parents say before, something they’d been thinking about many times.

            “I’m going to be taking you to an institution where you can no longer have to worry about this problem of yours.” He explained. I just stared at him. My problem, everyone saw it as a problem because they didn’t understand it, they feared it because it made them feel helpless.

            “Zane, do you understand what he’s saying to you?” my mother snapped at me, I turning and looked at her, she didn’t looked at me fully but was glaring at my feet. “Useless child, why did I have to even have you?!” she muttered.

            Not saying anything I just walked over to her, “You do know what’s going to happen to me, don’t you?” I asked. I could feel the fear in her at my touch, her muscles were contracted and she shied away, I should be hurt, that’s what you’d think I would feel but I didn’t even care.

            I let the images of what was going to happen flash into her mind and she actually screamed and jerked her arm away from my touch. I just stared at her as she was now on the ground, shaking slightly. I didn’t really expect her to do much, or really change her mind, but I did wonder if she would care, a little bit.

            “Get that revolting thing away from me!” she shouted. I didn’t say anything more, just turned away.

            The strange man, Aleksander Leskov, took my arm rather roughly and dragged me to the door, I let myself be dragged, not looking back until I heard my mother’s voice and I turned to see her glaring straight at me.

            “I don’t care what you do to it, just so long as you never bring it back into this house again.” She said her voice filled with all the hatred her eyes held. I turned away, no longer wanting to look at the woman who hated me, the woman who was supposed to love me, yet had given me away to someone who was going to abuse me.