Chapter 9: In This Lovely Month of October

Halloween was right around the corner once more, making Audri relive her memories again of her first Hogwarts year. She was just as confused then as she was now, but this time she had people who loved her to help her even more. She had six years with her adopted parents, the Longbottoms, to grow and love each other, and now she could feel it slipping away with her age.

The winds were high, still, but the sights were just as beautiful. Audri, Ethan, Teddy, and Indira were walking to the one class they all had together-Herbology. Most Hufflepuffs had Herbology all seven years, being extraordinarily good with plants. There was proof in the basement, what with all the plants. Peregrine loved sleeping in a hanging pot that held Singing Daisies, which mostly sung soft lullabies in the evenings.

"Hallow's Eve is coming up, know what that means?" Teddy asked his friends, his teal hair shivering with the winds.

"What's that, mate?" Yet Ethan already knew the answer. Ted asked this every year after Sluggy's first Hallow's Eve Ball which they were invited to.

"Slug's party! And Hogsmeade trip! In one weekend!" Teddy roared at some passing second years. Audri hit his shoulder in response, sending apologies towards the younglings. "Ow! Sweet holy tomatoes, you punch like a man."

"If only you were a man, you could have taken the hit," Audri teased, skipping towards the door. "After you, milady."

"Indubitably so!" Teddy pretended to swish his hips as he sauntered into the chilly greenhouse, followed by Indira, but Ethan always made sure to hold the door to be last. Even if it meant he was last in the class to sit. The four took their usual spots at the front of the class and waited for everyone else to file in.

"Has anyone got an extra quill?" Indira asked, rummaging through her bag for the nonexistent quill she was looking for. Audri sighed. Perhaps she would do better in class if she were more prepared. Indira's head snapped up at her. "Sorry I can't be prepared like you."

"You can, you just choose not to be," Audri retorted, handing over her worst quill and a bottle of ink. Lately, they'd been biting at each other. Both boys stayed quiet; Ted's hair even went to it's original shiny brown, yet his eyes stayed their mischievous gold.

"So, uh, how about Quidditch on Saturday?" Ethan hastily turned to Teddy, trying to change the hostile mood. "We're bound to win with Ravenclaw slacking and such."

"Aye! I heard Varney's got a bad season. Broke his arm before Slytherin match, and he's the Captain!" Teddy chuckled, elbowing Ethan. Neville chuckled behind him, "But their Seeker, Blokely, has been practicing every night. Professor Hagrid's been saying he's quite fast."

"Poppycock! I bet Blokely's not any faster than me!" Teddy waggled his eyebrows at the incoming class-all Hufflepuffs. "And Ethan? Well this chump can block just about any hit coming at 'im! Isn't that right?"

Audri allowed herself to be distracted with this talk. She'd forgotten Ethan was the Hufflepuff Keeper. He must have had more on his plate than she'd remembered, with a full schedule, Quidditch practices, and Head Boy duties.

"Good afternoon!" Neville called out to the class. Cheery helloes were made back, as usual with the happy Hufflepuffs. "Have I told you, you're my favorite class?"

"Every class, Professor," cheeky Kidd Rogers said from across Teddy. He was a boy from Ted and Ethan's crew of friends, and always trying to suck up to teachers. The class chuckled, ready to enjoy their easiest lesson of the week. It was probably the best period for Hufflepuffs, allowing them to showcase their talents and to be with just their best friends. By the finish of the period, everyone was ready for lunch in good spirits.

"See you, Dad," Audri whispered, blowing a quick kiss to Neville, before catching up with her friends.

"That was dreadful! It took me fifteen minutes to remember the difference between Nightshade berries and Hobbit's Blues!" Indira cried, throwing her hands into the air.

"Well, at least it's our easiest class," Audri tried to cheer her up. Indira was not having it.

"You mean YOUR easiest class?" Indira stomped off without them, leaving the minty smell of her 'aid' behind her.

"She always smells bloody fresh," Teddy smiled goofily. "Like Muggle gum!"

"Muggle gums? That's disgusting, mate," Ethan raised a brow. Ted and Audri looked at each other before bursting into laughter. "What?"

"Gum! Not gums! Sheesh, you'd think a wizard would know some Muggle products by now!" Teddy joked. Audri couldn't stop her laughter, she had to squeeze her sides. Poor Ethan turned a bright shade of red.

"I know what gum is! There's Dribble's Everlasting!" Ethan tried to redeem himself, but the moment would never be forgotten by his cultured friends. "Fine. Speaking of Dribble's, erm, would you fancy going to Hogsmeade with me?"

That shut them up. Teddy was growing more like a protective brother to her every day.

"Hogsmeade? The two of you?" Teddy asked, just as Victoire joined them at the Great Hall's doors. Teddy wouldn't be distracted though. Victoire pouted, and simply held his hand, leading them to the Hufflepuff table, instead of her own Gryffindor's.

"I believe I'd fancy that," Audri smiled.

"A date?!" Teddy turned most of the Hall's heads towards him. Being the class clown he was, he decided to take advantage of the moment. "Well, there you hear it folks! Ethan Powell is taking Audrita Longbottom to Hogsmeade this Sunday! In other news, Peeves was stuck in a cauldron for three straight days! Want to hear more Hogwarts gossip? Too bad, news'll find you!"

Many claps and laughter went round the room, and Teddy sat down with a brilliant smile and his hair at brightest teal. Both Ethan and Audri were quite embarrassed by their unashamed friend and sat as close to the table as possible. Audri was small, so she could huddle up easy, but Ethan was a tall guy, unless he was compared to Teddy's Metamorphing growth.