CHAPTER 59

I watch the dinner on the table, getting cold in front of my eyes. I knew this was going to be a stupid idea, yet I went on to do it. I have never really been creative with surprises in my life, but just for a moment, I thought I could do something special for Christopher.

Things have really changed after I moved back with Christopher. It feels like we have hardly been able to squeeze any time to talk since the day Christopher got discharged. Most of the time we are out of the house busy with our works and the moments when we are together in the same room, things get pretty intense quickly and we end up having sex. It's weird that after the whole Sophia ordeal we have been expressing more with our bodies rather than our words. We have sex, go to work and then come back again to have sex. It's not like I am complaining about it. Sex with Christopher had always been amazing and intense. But sometimes it feels like we are caught in a loop trying just to compensate for all those days of sexual frustration.

I wish I had more self-control. And It makes me feel sad that my irresistible urge towards Christopher has kept me away from confessing my true feelings to him. But I can't keep things going like this forever. I need to speak to him. So, to put a break to this chain I got home early and planned this surprise dinner. And what can be more amazing than to confess your love over a plate of cream-cheese brownies? I pull back my gaze from the brownies, fighting the urge to not gulp them all together in one go. I don't know why my craving hasn't still subsided even after finishing half of the batter while making them.

I tap my fingers over the table impatiently as I wait. Where is Christopher? Why isn't he home yet? I look back at the clock and then turn again to the dining table. I had wrapped everything up and left Frosty at Emily's so I could get home and finish all this. Frosty could be a little handful sometimes, so it would have been difficult for me to carry out everything with him being around.

I was happy an hour ago that I managed to do everything on time, but it seems like my plan turned out to be an utter failure.

I don't know how much time passes after that, but I am shaken up when I hear the clicking of the front door. I smile and walk towards the door. When I reach the entrance, I find no one there. But I notice the front door ajar. I look out and see Christopher's car parked in the driveway. Where is Christopher then? I look around for a minute and turn again to look back in the house. I frown when I see Christopher making his way up the stairs.

Why he had been so quiet? Is he going to his room? And without even looking for me? He has never done it. He knows that I would be in front of Tv while waiting for him. If he won't find me there, then he would always come searching for me in the kitchen. It's weird that he didn't try to look for me. I run towards him.

"Christopher?" I call behind him when he goes into his room.

His face looks down, and I fear something is off. He is being strangely quiet. I have seen this kind of change in his behavior. I know it happens when he has those nightmares or if he has been encountered with any instance from his accident. But Christopher's demeanor right now indicates to me that this is somehow different from all those.

I stand at the doorway and look at him as he stares in the front blankly, without giving me any response. His silence has started to scare me now. When I am about to take a step forward, he lifts his gaze and turns to look at the mirror across the room. His face hardens, and I notice his eyes turning red. He looks drunk, but I know he is not.

"Christopher?" I whisper this time.

"Don't call me that..." His muscles seem to tense as he seethes in a threatening voice.