twenty-two

t w e n t y - t w o

"WELL," REED SAID, AFTER a long uncertain pause. "That was awkward."

"Yeah," Oliver said. "It would be safe to say that was incredibly awkward."

In addition to how awkward that entire situation was, and the fact that they still had four days left to get through the holiday together, Oliver couldn't help feeling he had somehow played an unwitting part in that break-up. It had been triggered by Clair's rather pointed forfeit involving the two of them kissing and more than once, Adam had brought up the fact that she flirted with Oliver. Oliver had a bad feeling Clair wasn't the only one in Adam's bad books on that account. Adam and Clair were pissed off at each other, Adam was possibly pissed off at Oliver; these next four days would be unbearable. Funny how Reed was the only one who had managed to avoid pissing someone off this time.

That's when Oliver remembered, with acute intensity, his close proximity to Reed. Their arms were pressed against one another, their bodies flush despite all the space, their feet still touching. Reed seemed to have a similar realisation at the exact same moment. Their gazes caught and held; heat zipped all the way down Oliver's spine to his toes. He felt like a live wire, one touch away from sparking up.

"So," Oliver said.

Reed swallowed. His gaze flitted to Oliver's mouth, only for a moment. A moment Oliver couldn't have missed even if he tried. "So?"

"So..." Without Clair's calculating gaze burning hot on them, Oliver let his hand move from where it had spent the whole night firmly in his lap to brush Reed's hand. He was rewarded with a shiver from Reed, his throat bobbing when he swallowed again. It made him bolder, encouraged by the desire blazing in Reed's eyes, the way he definitely wasn't pulling away this time. "I never went through with my dare."

"I distinctly remember you requesting a forfeit."

"You didn't seem too pleased about the dare," Oliver said, letting his fingers trail up Reed's wrist. "As much as I would have loved to do it, I told you I'd never do anything you don't want me to do. And I meant it."

"And I told you," Reed said, "that maybe I do want you to do something."

This time, Reed kissed him. The hot coals of desire that had been simmering in the pit of Oliver's stomach from first moment he had seen Reed in the dining hall, scrubbing orange juice angrily from his shirt, were stoked to a blazing fire. Just like in the bathroom of the London bar, there was nothing soft or reserved about the kiss. It was heated, wild, intense, Reed's hands roaming down his chest and Oliver's going up to curl in the fine, pale hair at the nape of his neck. It felt like silk between his fingers. Oliver drew him closer, mouth hungrily exploring Reed's, the bubbly tang of champagne still bright on his tongue. Reed's lips parted beneath his own and his moan when Oliver slipped his tongue in his mouth left him dizzy with desire.

But the sound of it also snapped Oliver a little out of the lustful haze that had descended over him. He drew back slightly, not enough to put any distance between them but enough that he could attempt to think straight without Reed's mouth on his. The sight of Reed's flushed face and huge pupils was almost enough to throw all caution to the wind in favour of kissing him again. But Oliver had to remember he was dealing with someone who was incredibly flighty over anything that questioned his sexuality, and said flight risk was also his best friend, so he couldn't risk ruining everything between them over his own badly suppressed needs. No matter how good it felt.

"What?" Reed demanded, a little breathlessly. "Lost your nerve already?"

"No, I just think we should talk about this first."