Chapter 2

When I arrived at my new home at the base outside Star City on the Ustio border, I was very unimpressed to say the least. The majority of the base was fake just used as target fodder for Belkan bombers to convince them we had a large military presence here. I walked onto the base just as the sun began to rise and was greeted by a group of unpleasant looking MPs.

The MPs escorted me to the "barracks" just a row of cells with the bare minimum inside of them. I looked at them and asked the last one as he left if I could have a book. The young kid, who couldn't have been more than 18, looked at his comrades and then nodded and said, "I'll see what I can find sir." He snapped to and saluted as I stood seeing the captain's bars on my collar. A Sergeant down the hall snorted laughing, "Private you don't salute him. He's a prisoner now, his rank doesn't hold any weight." I render a salute back out of courtesy as he closed my cell.

I sat back on the bunk and closed my eyes just breathing slowly as I hear the sounds of boot steps echoing down the hallway. As they draw closer, I can hear the thud of each step and then suddenly at their loudest they stop. "Mute, I have your book but it will have to wait. The Colonel wants you to meet the squadron." I open my eyes to see the young MP from before. I nod and stand up, still wearing the same flight suit I had been arrested in two days ago as I walk to the door.

The kid hands me a book and I look at the cover and smile it was one of my favorite books, The Wave. A wonderful study of the human mind, this book had helped me to better understand my enemies in the air and become the dauntless ace I was. I tossed it on my bed and walked out the door being escorted to the squad room by the private and a sergeant. I walked in and was greeted by the sight of what looked like a modified aircraft carrier squadron ready room. Just rows of comfortable chairs with the squadron logo. I look at the other people in the room. Up front near the desk was the Colonel, an aging man who had seen better years who was angry at being the commander of a penal unit.

Then in the chairs were various pilots and navigators. There were six people in total spread through the seats, the first one was a tall guy who seemed to be in about his thirties, he had a crooked smile with close cropped blonde hair and deep blue eyes.

The next was a petite female with fierce grey eyes that stood out against her pale skin that was brushed with freckles across her nose and cheeks. She seemed to be around my age with long red hair she kept pinned up in a bun. She had a warm smile that sharply contrasted her fierce eyes.

Next was another female this one taller probably around 5'7, she had kinder ocean blue eyes with a picture-perfect smile. She seemed to be in her mid-twenties with long brunette hair she kept pinned in a similar bun to the redhead.

Across the aisle from those there were another two guys playing cards. One was a guy in his late twenties with a kind face and deep brown eyes. He has close cropped black hair and displays an interesting cross tattoo down the back of his arm. He looks up at me and offers a welcoming smile.

The other man playing cards was a young kid who looked barely out of flight school, I wonder what he did to get sent here so soon. He had green eyes that shown like emeralds but cut like ice. They pierced everything they touched and he seemed to have a permanent scowl etched into his face.

Finally, there was a guy sitting by himself with his eyes closed. The guy was around my age and had fiery red hair that definitely wasn't in regulations. He almost looked like he was asleep until he opened his eyes and looked like he was staring deeply into my soul with dark brown eyes that fiercely contrasted with his hair.