Prologue

I woke up in a cold sweat clutching at the bunk in my tiny cell in the brig. I glance around looking for any sign of respite, any chance to escape out of my confinement. However, finding nothing I settle quietly onto the bunk breathing deeply to calm my nerves. Just as I begin to settle back in resigned to the fate of another night in my cell, I hear a tapping on the door.

Looking up I am greeted by a bright flashlight in my face, "Mute," the voice calls as I stand up, "You are being reassigned to the 336th Sparrow Penal Squadron. Apparently in this current state of war with Belka command thinks murders like you deserve a second chance." I look down at the ground feeling the words sting as I grab the few things I have in my cell and turn around placing my hands behind my back as the guard preps me for transport.

Now who am I you may ask and what happened to label me a murderer and earn me assignment to a penal unit? I'll tell you; my name is Captain Caden "Mute" Highwing, the 24-year-old former Squadron Leader of Bandit Squad of the Osean Air Defense Force. The crime I had been charged with had earned me four white slashes over my plane's tail art, which was a painting of the northern lights.

I had been accused of murdering the four members of my squadron that I was charged to keep safe. This was a crime I did not commit and I don't know why I was targeted. What I know now is the Osean Air Force is too desperate for manpower in the war with Belka to throw away a seasoned ace like me. It's a sad fate I had resigned myself too, I had to kill people to keep my country and those I cared about safe. Growing up I had always admired the great Erusean Ace Mihaly Shilage and had wanted to be someone like him who could save others and defend his own. I found that the Ace badge and the confirmed kills on my plane only add to my sorrow and hatred.

I had nothing left, my squadron, the only family I had left, is dead and it's my fault. Now as the handcuffs close around my wrists and click tighter, I resign myself to never let it happen again. I would never grow close to my squadron again; I would passionately protect them from a distance. Now let me tell you how I got here. How the leader of the most prestigious squadron in the Osean Air Defense Force fell from grace and ended up an accused traitor.