Ashes ~Chapter Two

I quickly pulled on my coat, flipped my hair out from under and shoved my hat on. I slung my backpack over my shoulder and literally flew out the door. I was a straight-A student (unlike Josh), with a clean detention slate and never missed a day of school or more-or-less come in late. Josh was in his van, backing out of the garage. I waved my arms, running to the car. He spotted me and unlocked the doors. I gave a huffy breath and leaped into the front seat next to him. I glared at him for almost ditching me. He just shrugged, not too shamefully, one hand sitting casually on the steering wheel. With the other hand, he fidgeted with the tuner until it played a soft country music. Yes, my brother is a country lover. He’s actually has a decent voice and we sometimes sing together when he’s not being such a butthead. Like now.

            Josh hummed part of the music under his breath as he turned onto Sunny Lane AVE. This was where his infamous buddy Jesse lived. All the girls gawked and worshipped the grass he stood on, but to me he’s just a freak that has an overlong chunk of bleach blond hair covering his eye, while the rest of his head is so black, it looks almost blue under some lights.

            Josh pulled to a stop in front of Jesse’s house…or rather appropriate—a mansion. His family has so much money, it’s probably growing mold in the banks. Jesse’s bobbing head appeared into view. I slumped down in my seat, pulling my I-pod out. It was officially time to disappear. Because, if you didn’t know: guys gossip as much as girls do. About topics like ‘whose the hottest in bed’, ‘did Taylor look better without her bleached hair’, or worse: ‘how many girls did you “do” over the weekend’…and they spill all these details that make me want to puke out my breakfast into their laps. And no, Josh is not a virgin. None of them are.  

            Josh unlocked the doors and Jesse hopped in. He slung an arm over my chair, popping his enormous head between the two seats as Josh pulled out.

            “Hey Josh, Arty—” As many times I tell to not call me Arty, it seems I always have to take it to the extremes to get them to shut up. I smacked the back of his stupid head with one hand, humming ‘Misery Business’ under my breath.

            “Ouch! Art—”

            “Shut it dipshit!” I held out one hand, palm facing out and turned to look out the window. From the side mirror, I could see Jesse pouting.

            “You’re no fun,” He said, rubbing his head. I rolled my eyes. Since when was I FUN? That word wasn’t even in my vocabulary.

            Next, Josh pulled up in front of yet another mansion. Yah, his friends are ALL stuck-up rich-y rich boys that rely on their money to get girls. (Well…and their looks, but not a big part! …Forget I thought that) Jake’s tousled blond hair and bright baby-blue eyes strutted through his gate, lugging a backpack probably filled with unfinished homework. I’ll bet he’ll just go ask one of his fans to do it for him. Lazy bum. He pulled open the door and jumped in. He did the usual guy hug thing with Jesse and high-fived Josh. Unlike Jesse, Jake completely ignored me like I wasn’t there. Not that I mind, in fact I like it better this way!

            Last of all, Josh stopped at Drake’s house. Of all his guy friends, Drake’s probably the worst off. He’s mean, harasses me, teases me and steals me stuff. When we were born, I’ll bet God wrote us off as enemies. He’s also Josh’s best friend, the one he can trust with ANYTHING. They’ve been best friends since they were in diapers. That kind of upsets me too. Imagine, he was there when I was in diapers. Ew. All in all, he treats me like a little sister, even though I’m technically older than Josh by one minute.

            Drake skips off all in glory, his inky black hair whipping in the bitter wind. He stops half way to catch some snowflakes on his tongue and then runs to our car. He swings the door open, the wind attacking us all. I ducked under my seat to avoid the snow falling off his jacket. Some snow confetti falls on me anyways and annoyed I brush it off. Normally, I would have yelled at him for being the dumbass he is, but I’ve promised Josh I’d be on my best behavior. Why? Because he’d go camping with me this weekend! I love camping, but mom’s too busy to go and won’t let me go unless I have someone with me. I just blow some air out from my nose and concentrate on my music. Paramore screams in my ears and I relax in the bliss of the music as the guys begin their disgusting talk the rest of the way to school.

            Thank you Paramore...you're a lifesaver.