Chapter 8

I'm abruptly woken up to a loud knock on my door and in strides Keira and Lena, both smiling wide. I stretch in my new bed and groan loudly, looking over to the white bed side table- where the clock says 7:35 AM. It's far too early to be up, especially after crawling into bed at 3 this morning.  A set of beautiful rose colored sheets with a white duvet cover me from head to toe, warming me to the core. I have no plans to move for days... maybe weeks, especially after the bomb Maxon dropped on me last night.

My cheeks flush just thinking about what he had called me... mate. He also mentioned that he's known for months... but I'm just now finding out? My mind races, going through all of the conversations we've had in the month that I've been here. Is this the real reason he had swept me away from my normal life?

Rage fills my eyesight and I slowly begin to feel the heat picking up around my cheeks and down into my hands. I take a few deep breaths, trying to calm myself before I burn my sheets and the bed down with them.

"Good morning Miss Lucy, it's time to get dressed." Lena cheers, placing her hands in front of her stomach.

"Lena, can you just have breakfast sent up to my room?" I grumble, throwing the covers over my head dramatically.

There's no way I am going down there for breakfast, lunch, dinner... not today and maybe not ever. Embarrassment fills my thoughts over the way I had reacted to his words... I had flat out smacked him across the cheek. His face had been in an utter state of shock- his mouth slightly opened in disbelief as I had stood up and ran out of the door. He hadn't followed me, luckily, and I had snuck into my room quietly and tossed and turned until finally falling asleep. I couldn't face him... I don't know what to say other than "screw you".

I hear her giggle, "Well that would be a little rude to his highness, but I suppose I can request it."

I slap my hands down over the duvet, pulling it off of my head abruptly as I sit up. My hair crackles around my face from the static electricity and I can feel my cheeks heating again. Lena looks at me, wide eyed as I glare down at my hands.

"I'm sure his highness will understand why I don't want to see him this morning." I sneer, looking up at Lena and Keira.

Keira takes a defensive stance, looking down at her perfectly white laced shoes. Her long ash blonde hair falls over her face and she quickly tucks it behind her ears.

Keira slowly looks up into my eyes, "Was the date really that bad Ms. Lucy?"

"Yes." I lie, not wanting to go into the details.

Our date had been perfect- dinner, the sunset, the conversation. But then the overwhelming "mate" bomb had really ruined everything, making my heart cold towards him. He's known for months, not days that I was his mate and he's been hiding that fact from me since I've arrived. How am I supposed to trust him after this?

"You'll have to join them for lunch, Lucy – the Cole's will be here and your presence is required. But I'll try to have breakfast sent up to you in a bit. So why don't you take your time getting washed up and try to relax?" Lena smiles, looking me over and raising an eyebrow slightly at the sight of my ruffled hair.

I nod and thank them both as they sneak out of the room quietly.

I sigh quietly and run a hand through my hair, getting stuck in the tangles. My head and heart are both pounding in the anticipation of meeting my grandparents in a few hours. But mostly, I'm anxious about seeing Maxon again.

I grit my teeth again, thinking about him, still angry about last night. I close my eyes in reaction and feel fiery warmth encapsulate my body. I open my eyes to see my hands brightly glowing red and orange and flames flying from my fingertips- literally a fire. I shout aloud, blowing at my hands before I realize that this must be my powers beginning to show up in full force. I take a few deep breaths and count to 10 and slowly I begin to feel my body returning to a some-what normal state. The fiery feeling tingles underneath my skin, screaming to reappear.