MCPEW 028 PUZZLING QUESTIONS

Oh my god. Ace had a gun in his car! I froze, staring blankly at the gun barrel.

Was he out of his mind? Was he so mad that he was planning to kill the both of us?

I wanted to leave the car immediately, but then he grabbed my hand and handed the gun to me. I shivered as I felt the cold metal touch my fingers, my hand shaking in nervousness and fear.

"Kill me," Ace repeated firmly.

"I will not. Killing you will not solve all the problems you've caused, Ace, nor will it undo the hurt you caused me," I told him, trying to remain calm, while still holding the gun. It was heavier than I expected.

Did it have bullets inside it? I was too scared to check.

"You must live to face the consequences of your actions and taste what karma feels like. But if you really want to die today, do it on your own. Don't implicate me in your suicide plan," I continued, feeling angry at his actions.

He was such a coward that he would rather die than suffer the consequences of his own actions! And he would make me a criminal!

Ace just looked at me quietly in response. Just when I thought he was finally seeing sense, he lifted my hand until the tip of the gun was pressing against his forehead.

"What are you doing?" I demanded, trying to pull away, but he held onto my hand firmly. "Are you insane? Stop this right now!"

Blood drained from my face as he refused to let me go. What if I accidentally pulled the trigger and killed Ace on the spot? He was a terrible husband, but I didn't want him dead. I also didn't want to become a murderer!

Clearly Ace was out of his mind. I had to be the calm one.

I swallowed hard and pushed away the rising fear in my heart, while maintaining a straight face. I held my breath and made sure my fingers did not touch the trigger, fearing that I would accidentally pull the trigger with one wrong move.

The silence in the car seemed to go on forever. It was only broken by the sound of my ragged breaths. I could hear the sound of my heart violently thumping in my chest.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Ace let go of my hand and took the gun away. I nearly slumped backwards in relief.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled, keeping the gun inside the car compartment. Only when the weapon was out of my sight did I finally let go of the breath I was still holding. "Enough is enough Ace. You're a grown man. Stop all your nonsense and drive me home now! That's the least you can do for me after everything," I hissed, trying to hold on to my thinning patience.

He wanted a divorce, so I gave him a divorce. Why did he still try to threaten to kill himself in my presence? My poor heart was still beating a mile a minute. Ace knew I had a weak heart. Was he trying to give me a heart attack?

His guilt-stricken face met mine. Maybe he finally realized his actions were utterly out of line. "I'm really sorry, Phoenix." He mumbled.

I scoffed. If apologies were sufficient, no one would need police officers. Then he realized that I wasn't going to reply, and let out a deep sigh. He then started the car. Minutes later, the car traversed under the heavy rain.

The trip to my apartment was short and quiet. When the car finally pulled into a stop in front of the building, I immediately clambered out of the car, not wanting to spend another minute with him. But before I could open the door, Ace stopped me by gently grabbing my arm.

"I'm sorry for all the pain I cause you, Phoenix. I hope someday you will forgive me." He whispered, his tone overflowing with regrets.

Forgiveness? I thought incredulously to myself with my fist clenched. He just tried to get me to shoot him in the head!

Even if he didn't do that, I might never forgive him. His betrayal carved a deep wound into my heart. It would take years for me to recover from it. True, time would heal the wound, but it would never erase the scar.

The scar would always be a constant reminder that the man I once loved broke my heart into a million pieces. It would take me years to pick them up and make myself whole again.

Without bothering to look at him, I spoke. "It's too late, Ace. Your apology will never undo the mistakes you made. Goodbye. Please don't bother me again." I yanked my arm away from his hold. Finally, he let me go. I opened the door and quickly got out of the car.

The rain soaked my clothes, but I didn't care. The only thing on my mind was to get away from the cause of all my pain. I made a beeline straight for my door without a backward glance. Ace's gaze lay heavy on my back until I reached the door and closed it behind me.

I heard the engine roar to life before the car sped away.

"I hope we don't meet again, Ace." I mumbled to myself, wiping a tear that glided down my cheek.

"You still love him, don't you?" Amelie asked, her voice appearing from nowhere. Her words sounded more like a statement than a question.

"You startled me, Amelie!" I blurted, watching her descend from the narrow stairs. I didn't realize it was there until I saw her walk down.

"You still haven't answered my question, dear." She said in her usual soft tone.

"Do you really need to hear the answer? If I told you I don't love him anymore, would you believe me?"

"No," Amelie replied sympathetically. "It would be a straight up lie because your eyes say otherwise." She added, her eyes never leaving my face.

My eyes dropped to the floor in surrender. I pulled myself together before looking back at Amelie. "Yes, I love him." I finally admitted. "But my love for him is now replaced with hatred. We are now each going our separate ways. That's the best way forward," I told her. My sight clouded with tears as I choked out the words.

Amelie came up to me and laid a gentle hand on my shoulder. "Healing takes time, dear. Even if you don't feel better now, one day you will. Just be strong. If you need someone you could talk to, my door is always open for you."

"Thank you, Amelie. I'm thankful to have met someone like you." My lips stretched into a fond smile as I looked at her.

"You're like a daughter I never had." She said, hugging me warmly. "Go to your room now and change your clothes. Look at how wet they are! You will catch a cold if you don't."

I smiled and nodded, and went back to my room to take a quick warm bath and change my clothes to comfortable dry ones.

When I finally slumped on top of the bed after drying my hair, I realized how exhausted I'd been. Not only did my feet hurt, but my head pounded as well. But the physical pain was nothing compared to the pain in my chest, knowing that the two people that I expected to stay by my side for the rest of my life were gone forever.

"Please always guide me, Mom. I will try to be strong for you." I said, grabbing her picture frame I kept under my pillow and held it close to my chest. With my eyes firmly closed, I prayed to God that he will guide me on the path I took, far far away from Ace.

But who knew that God would want me to see him again, just months later?