Prologue

September 21st, 2003

Dear Diary,

Today was the worst day of my life. Why? Well because i am who i am. I don't understand why, but because of what i am people hate me, they laugh at me, they pity me, Like I'm a leper or a freak.I can't change the way I am. Hypothyroidism doesn't allow you to be skinny. But yet they still hate me. I don't know what else to be.

~~~~

I've been overweight most of my life. Since the age 7 I've been a hefty kid. Growing up my mom was always working hard at her job, so I would go to school, then go to a babysitters afterward. My mom tried hard to be as efficient and to take care of me. It was just hard for her. She was a single parent raising a young boy on her own. I can't blame her for that.

I was always teased by someone wherever i was, whether it be at school, my babysitters, or at a playground. It always seemed to follow me around. This thing of hate and disapproval by others. One look at me and kids would laugh or be disgusted. I didn't understand why, i still don't to this day.

Growing up i ate 3 times a day, drank lots of water, and i was always outside playing. But each year i kept growing bigger and bigger. Until one day when i was twelve years old, my mom took me to see a doctor. They took my blood, they ran some tests, and 2 weeks later the doc is telling my mom i have "Hypothyroidism". At first i thought it was like cancer, when i overheard i began to sob uncontrollably.

After 20 minutes of my mother and the doctor calming me down, they sat me down and told me that it was simple something that controlled my weight. No matter how much i exercised, ate healthy, or did anything i would always be this weight. The doctor told my mother there was treatments, but we were struggling so much as it was that she couldn't afford the treatment.

As the years went on i began to gain more and more weight. By 7th grade i was only 12 years old, 280 pounds. The kids in my school didn't have a hard time noticing that. One day during lunch, one of my classmates, Cameron Davis, decided he was going to have some fun.

The bell rang and me and my class got up from our seats and headed out to the lunch room. Walking down the hall with my three ring binder under my arm, i heard some commotion coming from behind me. Giggling to be precise. I didn't pay much mind to it at first.

But when i got in line in the lunch room i couldn't help but hear the continuous giggling.Naturally being the curious person i am, i turned around and looked. Cameron Davis and Ricky Goldman were glancing at me and whispering in one another's ears as they both began to giggle and smile with glee.

I knew in my mind they were whispering about me, but i figured if they weren't bothering me, I'll just let it go. So i did.

I got my lunch, Chicken burger with fries and a fruit cup, and walked over to my usual table and sat with my best friend, Marcus. Marcus was always the coolest guy, he always had a smile on his face, he was constantly quoting family guy non stop. Marcus was a chubby kid with short brown hair, rectangluar glasses, blue eyes and a stubble around his chin.

I sat down at my table where Marcus was awaiting my arrival.

"Giggity Giggity, where you been good lookin?" Marcus said in a goofy voice.

I laughed, and said, "Just enjoying checking out your fine ass from over in that line, baby."

Marcus instantly had a grossed out look on his face.

"Dude why do you have to ruin the comedy with that?" He asked me.

I pulled my fruit cup off my tray, looked up at him and said, "Maybe because every time I come to sit down you always pull out the quagmire."

Marcus opened his arms in a "are you serious" tone and said, "Dude, quagmire is comedy gold. You can't deny it."

I chuckled at him and ripped open the plastic lid to my fruit cup. I put my spoon in the cup and take a big scoop of peaches and grapes and shove them into my mouth.

As i chew down that fruity goodness i see Cameron and Ricky walking by, still looking and still giggling. Marcus can't help but notice the giggling either. He glances at the two as they pass by with their food trays in hand.

Marcus looked over at me and asked, "What's so funny with the douche bag twins?"

I glanced over at the two sitting down at the table then back at Marcus and replied, "I don't know. Probably came up with a new fat joke starring yours truly."

"Dude what is it with you? Are you like a freaking bully magnet or something?" Marcus asked with a sarcastic yet blunt tone.

I looked at him, took a quick scoop of fruit in my mouth and through chewed food i replied, "I guess, maybe its because I'm such an east target. I mean, look at me, I'm the size of Rhode island."

Marcus laughed, i followed suit and began to slightly choke on half chewed peaches.

20 minutes later, after Marcus was finished with his lunch and like always he got up, gave me the old family guy goodbye and headed to class. And that's when it happened.

I was sitting there finishing up my lunch, (I eat slow so it takes a while), when all of a sudden Ricky and Cameron sit down at my table. Big smiles on their faces, like they just won the lottery. Ricky looked over at me, as i looked up at him.

Ricky said, "Hey...Hey Fat Ass. Where'd your friend go? Did he leave, or did you eat him too?"

Ricky and Cameron began laughing in unison. I wanted so much to stand up and shout in their faces to shove their insults up their pompous asses, but being the person i am, i just slowly got up and walked away.But not before Ricky sealed my fate in a box.

Ricky shouted out to me, "See you later Fat Ass".

An entire crowd of kids broke out in laughter. Ricky and Cameron began to softly chant, "Fat Ass, Fat Ass, Fat Ass" As the sickness spread throughout the entire lunchroom. The kids in the lunchroom began chanting in Unison, "Fat Ass, Fat Ass, Fat Ass". And that was it. That was the beginning of the nickname that ruined my life.

My Name Is David Cole, They call me "Fat Ass"