Chapter Two

Dani and I saw Max, our brother, pull into the driveway on his bike and we ran to his room and hid in his closet. Mom and Dad were downstairs unpacking. We heard Mom talking to Max as he stormed into the house. I looked down at Dani but she paid no attention to it.

"I can't believe you made me move here!" He shouted running up the stairs. Dani giggled nervously. He walked in a slammed the door. I watched him throw his hat and jacket around the room. He fed his fish and then crawled onto his bed, hugging his pillow. "Oh, Allison," He spoke softly, pretending the pillow was this Allison. "You're so soft. I just wanna-"

I gave Dani a nod and we burst through the closet door, Dani yelling "Boo!" and laughing.

"Y/N! Dani!" Max yelled, his eyes wide as he flipped over.

Dani jumped onto the bed over Max, chanting, "I scared you, I scared you. Ha-ha! Ha-ha!" I smiled and he gave me a glare. "I'm Allison," Dani continued, "Allison. Kiss me, I'm Allison." She teased, dramatically flopping back on the bed.

Max ignored her and yelled "Mom and Dad told you guys to stay out of my room!" He looked back and forth from Dani to I. "Y/N, you're fourteen. It's time to grow up." He sighed at the last part and I crossed my arms.

"Don't be such a crab." I told Max.

Dani started bouncing on the bed. "Guess what?" She said, "You're gonna take me and Y/N trick-or-treating." She smiled, still bouncing.

"Not this year, Dani." Max said.

Dani bounced off the bed, "Mom said you have to." She stated.

"Well have her take you." Max said.

Dani grabbed his shirt as he was about to walk away. "She and Dad are going to the party at Town hall."

"Then have Y/N take you!" Max said, pushing away. He was running out of ideas.

"I don't know the place! You have to take us, Max." I said walking towards him.

He sat at his drum set and started playing, ignoring me. "Yeah, we will get lost!" Dani exclaimed, taking my side. "Besides, it's a full moon outside. The weirdos are out!"

I walked over to him and hugged around his neck, "Come on, Max. It will be like old times." I said smiling. Dani came behind me and hugged my waist.

He shook us off and said, "Yeah, well, the old days are dead." And continued playing.

Dani shoved in front of me, put her hand on her hip, and said, "It doesn't matter what you say, You're taking us."

Max stopped and faced us with a numb look on his face, "Wanna bet?" He spat and walked up his spiral stairs and looked out the window.

Dani had had enough and I knew what happens next. I covered my ears to try and muffle Dani screaming out for Mom.