18 | The Garden

The resulting silence that swallowed the Grand Chamber revived Andreya's memories of the silence that had first declared her a witch. A pause much too quiet to result in anything but another horrible death.

Except these people knew she would resurrect. She would not be able to escape this palace. She was trapped now in another country where she was a monster, and they had finally reeled her into their grasp.

"Very well," said Head Judge Makaira, shattering the silence and Andreya's thoughts along with it. "In that case, if you wish to stay in our country and will not accept our offer, how do you propose we ensure you will not be a threat to our people?"

Andreya couldn't breathe. Did this mean they did not treat her as a witch, as her own people had? Her eyes raised to the Council once again in disbelief. "Sovereign Judges, I can guarantee you I will not be a threat to Isantad if you only help me end my immortality. I plead that you help me die."

For the first time, they registered surprise, and looked to one another as if uncertain.

"You are sure this is what you want?" Judge Issel asked, and Andreya bowed in response.

They seemed to consider it among themselves again, in silent discussion, a series of looks and even, once, a whisper, though too muffled for Andreya to understand. Finally, they straightened and Judge Makaira spoke their verdict.

"Duchess Marivatan, we accept your offer, and we invite you to remain in the palace for Heiress Jenriset's ball overmorrow. There, we shall end your curse. In the meantime, we would like to learn as much about your condition as possible to assist in our efforts, if you would be so willing."

"I am forever grateful, Sovereign Judges." Andreya sank into another deep curtsy, her Isantadi dress pooling on the floor around her.

"We hope you find your solution." Judge Makaira's words echoed through the Grand Chamber, and the three of them dipped their heads again. "Farewell, Duchess Marivatan."

Then the servants who had escorted her there stepped forward at Andreya's sides and the two palatial doors groaned open again to let her through.

The Judges had chosen to help her, just as Reide had all that time ago and had been doing ever since—a kindness Andreya had not experienced in Nasavte since the death of her family.

And at the thought of Reide, the tick of Andreya's internal gears faltered—nothing more than a fraction of a moment, naught but a single thought. But her years in isolation had clouded her connection to her heart, her understanding of her emotions, her control of her thoughts.

It was not surprising she did not recognize the terrible something she had done.

──── ❉ ❉ ❉ ────

Reide was so absorbed in plotting his escape out the window that he nearly missed the sound of the door unlocking.

When it opened, Reide was standing behind it, and snatched both arms of the man who stepped through, instantly twisting his hands behind his back and knocking one leg out from under him so he fell to a kneel with a yelp. Reide felt bare without his bow and quiver, but he was far from helpless.

"I yield! Mercy!"

Reide startled and leapt back at his voice—the man was nothing more than a lanky pageboy, and one that was now attempting and slightly failing to return to his feet, absolutely petrified. The boy slowly brought a hand up to rub his wrist.

"S-s-sir, I'm just—just here to inform you that the Judges have invited you to Heiress Jenriset's ball in two days." His hand began to shake. "And you... you are free to enjoy your stay in the Court until then."