Flash Tips - Speaking

Section 4 : Speaking

TIME PROVIDED : 15-20 mins

There are 3 parts for this section/test.

Part 1 : Interview

All about yourself! Don't feel shy!

Part 2 : Cue Card Speech

Talk for 2 minutes (until examiner stops you).

The topic will be based on a card handed to you.

Part 3 : Discussion

Longer duration of talking about personal opinions on the cue card topic you got.

1. Practise speaking in English everywhere! With friends, at work, on the phone, etc.

2. You can consider recording yourself with a phone or tape recorder. Play it to judge yourself.

3. Be confident that you can allow yourself to be recorded in the actual exam day.

4. There are no right or wrong answers or opinions. The examiners are assessing how well you can express your ideas and opinions in good English.

5. It will help you if you imagine you are talking to a friend. Remember that you are not being assessed on your opinions... only on your use of English.

6. Avoid repeating words that are used in the examiner's question. Use your own words to show the examiner your full ability!

7. Speak clearly and at a natural pace (speed). If you speak too fast, you may make mistakes or pronounce words incorrectly.

8. Be cautious (careful) about the tense (past/present/future) used in the questions.

9. Practise pronunciation of numbers. For example, some numbers can sound very similar when spoken, e.g. "thirty" and "thirteen", "forty" and "fourteen", "fifty" and "fifteen", etc.

10. Don't simply say "Yes, I do" or "No, I don't". Answer in as much detail as you can.

11. Give examples from your own experience – this will develop your answers.

12. Try to answer as fully as possible and give reasons for your answers. This will help you to use a wider range of vocabulary and grammar.

13. Lastly, DO NOT STOP OR PAUSE!!

14. If you need to pause, try to use some clever and stylish methods, e.g. "Well, I haven't thought about it for a long time, but I think I would say...."

15. The trick above will allow you to show the examiner that you are not pausing for searching words. Instead, try to show him/her that you are simply "thinking" about the topic.