Thirty-six

She was finally asleep in the bed, her face held waves of peace and relief

She was finally asleep in the bed, her face held waves of peace and relief. Earlier she had finally let me clean up her back, she didn't make a sound. The marks on her back were deep, yet not deep enough to require stitches.

She didn't look at me, or the mirror. Her eyes were closed the whole time as if seeing herself was the last thing she wanted.

Her hand clutched tightly around my shirt while she stirred in her sleep. I brushed the hair that was overlapping on her face, she was still sound asleep.

I slowly removed myself from the bed, unclutching her hand. I grabbed a white long sleeve shirt from my closet, buttoning it up. I turned around to see her watching me, she laid there, made no movement to get up.

My feet slowly led me to the side of the bed, she was curled up in a ball under the blankets as if they were the only thing that would keep her safe.

I leaned down and slowly placed a kiss on the top of her head before whispering, "I'll be back in a bit, Ly. Get some sleep."

She watches me, and with no response, she turns over, her back now facing me. At least she listened to me.

I slowly close the door behind me, when I reach downstairs, Dante, Megan, Axel, and Joey are all sitting on the couch. They have all been here since Lyla had come back, merely supporting from a distance.

But this was different, I was finally leaving the house. I didn't want to, I would prefer staying with her forever, yet I was doing this for her.

I approach the couch and stand in front of them, "First things first, don't fucking upset her."

They all appear to be listening, staring at me. "As Megan has found out, she doesn't like things being forced on her, so don't fucking try to bother her unless she comes to you. I doubt that she will talk to you, even if she comes out of the room. But just check on her, as often as possible."

"If anything happens to her, you will be dealing with the consequences." I state.

"And if anything fucking happens, call me." I finish, they all simply nod.

"And for fucks sake, do not wake her up." I grumble. She needs her rest, she's coping, and I need her back.

"Axel, let's go." I point at him, before walking to the door, him closely following me. I slide into the back seat of the car, and he gets in beside me. The vehicle jerks forward as it speeds out of the driveway.

"She means a lot to you, doesn't she?" He questions, not looking at me.

If he only knew.

"I wanted to apologize, I thought y'all were just fucking, I wouldn't have made the comments I did, boss." He continued.

At least he realized his mistakes, he would have to prove that to Lyla. In my books, he was one of my best men, he insult her and I. Yet he was able to make up for those mistakes by helping me get her back.