Chapter Thirty-Eight

The trunk of the vehicle opens and Elena and Cassandra are greeted by the setting sun in the distance which means they've been driving all night. There is a snap in the air too, which isn't the best considering Cassandra is still wearing her outfit from the ball. She shivers and then shifts her eyes to the male who is looking down at them. He's unspectacular. He's just some guy. A normal looking guy. But he still took them, for whatever reason, and she's not letting that happen. She turns to kick out with her leg, but he simply grabs her ankle to stop her. She swallows a little when he gives her a look. Without her powers she is useless, this is why she wanted Damon to help teach her to fight, but they never got around to it, with everything that happened they just had to keep pushing it back. Boy was that a mistake. He punches her, right in the face, knocking her right back out.

"Leave her alone" Elena snaps but he turns a look on her that really shuts her up and has her sinking back. She likes to think that she is normally brave but not that brave right now.

..........

Cassandra wakes next time to Elena running her fingers through her hair, cradling Cassandra's head in her lap. They're indoors now. In some run-down ruin of a building. Cassandra manages to sit up, her eyes scanning around the room to realise that they are alone. She turns to Elena and opens her mouth to talk but Elena presses her finger to her lips and motions that their captors are upstairs. Cassandra mouths 'how many?' at Elena who then holds up two fingers. Cassandra nods a little moving her shoulders slightly. Her hands are still restrained behind her back and actually now starting to really hurt. She adjusts herself slightly as Elena helps. Tries to anyway. Unless the restraints come off, it's not going to help. Nothing is going to help. She lets out a breath and leans back against the couch they're sat on. Cassandra then cocks her head and then struggles to get up to her feet without her hands but does manage it. Elena motions for her to stop, Cassandra just pulls a face back at her and sneaks away to listen in on the conversation between Rose and Trevor. It is the least she deserves. To know why they are here. Why someone decided to kidnap them?

"How's the psychic?" A female voice asks.

"Still passed out" A male voice counters.

"You didn't touch her, did you?"

"Give me some credit. So, you called him?"

"No, I called one of his contacts. You know how this works, Trevor" The female voice argues.

"Rose" The male. Trevor argues. "Did you or did you not get the message to Elijah?"

"They say he got it" Rose answers.

"Wonderful and what?" Trevor counters.

"So that's it, Trevor. He either got it or he didn't. We just have to wait" Rose argues with him.

"Look, it's not too late. We can leave it here. We don't have to go through with this" He tries to reason with her.

"I'm sick of running!" Rose snaps.

"Yeah? Well, running keeps us from dying."

"Elijah's old school. If he accepts our deal, we're free" Rose points out softly. Cassandra accidentally makes one of the boards squeak and cringes. Rose sees her lingering there. "You! There's nothing around here for miles. If you think you're getting out of this house, you're tragically wrong" Rose warns her. "Understand?" She asks Cassandra.

"Who's Elijah?" Cassandra counters.

"He's your worst nightmare" Rose answers. Cassandra gasps.

"He's a rabid Spongebob?" She asks mockingly. That is literally her worst nightmare and that is pretty terrifying for her.

"What's a Spongebob?" Trevor counters looking at Rose. Cassandra glances back at Elena who is watching, cautious and scared. Cassandra knows she has to be the strong one here. She is the strong one. Elena is her sister. Her little twin sister.

.............

Jeremy and Bonnie are in Alaric's classroom together, now that Jeremy has been filled in on the fact that his sisters are missing, he wants to be involved. He looks down at the map and two candles on the table.

"How does this is work?" He asks Bonnie.

"I'll use your blood to draw energy for the tracking spell. You're blood-related; it'll make the connection stronger" She explains as Stefan then walks into the room.

"Alright, Alaric said we've got to clear out of here within ten minutes" Stefan informs them. "I've got weapons, he stocked me up" Bonnie turns to Jeremy.

"Are you ready?" She asks him, Jeremy nods and holds out his hand to her. She cuts Jeremy's hand, letting his blood falls onto the map. Bonnie concentrates as she casts the spell. The blood drops and merge into one and goes toward Cassandra and Elena's location. "There. They are there"

"That's 300 miles away" Jeremy complains.

"No, Bonnie. We need a more exact location than that" Stefan scolds.

"That's as close as I can get" Bonnie points out.

"We can map it, aerial view will show us what's around there, help us narrow down the area" Jeremy offers, Stefan nods along.

"Perfect. Call me with whatever you find" Stefan tells him, Jeremy frowns and gives him a look.

"No, no, I'm coming with you!" Jeremy argues with him.

"No, Jeremy, you're not" Stefan stops him. "You know Cassandra would kill me if you got hurt" Jeremy purses his lips but he knows Stefan is right. Cassandra would kill Stefan, then Jeremy. And he rather likes living. Bonnie has a nosebleed but the guys don't see it. "You two go back to your house just in case. I'll call you the minute I find them" Stefan places a hand on Jeremy's shoulder and they share a look.

"Well, you can't do this alone" Jeremy adds and just like that, perfect timing, Damon walks into the room.

"He's not. Let's go" Damon tells Stefan.

"You're coming with me?" Stefan asks, Damon shoots him a look.

"It's Cas. Of course, I am going" Damon snaps a little at him. Of course, he would run to her rescue. Why is so hard for these people to see that he does really care for this one girl? That he really cares about Cassandra?