Chapter Three

Matthew Evans stared at Henry Maxwell, chairman of Maxwell Foundation as he hugged the newly appointed doctor. He has been working in this hospital for the past five years and he has never seen anyone doctor getting this much attention from the chairman, not even his children, niece or nephews who all worked here as doctors. What we need right now is an experienced surgeon, not someone someone who is so young and new. What in the world does she even know about this hospital? This is madness. 

He rose from his seat bringing attention to himself. "With all due respect, Sir, I don't understand why a new doctor should be appointed as the chief of surgery."

"There's nothing wrong in being new," Mark Maxwell answered, his voice held authority.

Matt sees his sister, Melinda Evans rise to her feet. "I agree with Dr. Evans, she is so young and has barely any knowledge about the hospital. We need someone experienced not some pretty doll," Melinda snapped. Matt winced slightly, that came out harshly. He looked at Dr. Gray who still stood her ground, her expression calm and steady. Hmm, she does have some guts.

"Mind what you talk, Dr. Evans," Ben Maxmell said, his voice held displeasure of Melinda's comment.

Darius Brannon, his best friend said, rising to his feet. "I think it's the wrong move for us right now."

"Chairman, is there a reason why Dr. Gray is appointed suddenly without notifying the board?" Dr. Carter, Matt's maternal uncle and Chief of Medicine questioned.

"As the head of the foundation I've to make a decision without wasting further time. The board members agrees with my decision. It was an unanimous vote. We don't have enough surgeons right now and the cases are piling up everyday and we need help," Henry stated.

"Don't mind them, Sir," Margaret Evans, his mother said, rising to her feet. She glared at Matt and Melinda before turning towards Henry. "They're acting like spoiled brats and they don't have a say in this. This is a decision made by you and moreover I think we should give Dr. Gray a chance to prove herself."

"Mom but she is not qual-"

"She's more qualified than you, Matthew. You don't have a say in this. She's a doctor who has enough experience. Don't talk if you know nothing."

He drew air sharply through his nose. They all trust her to manage the chaos of this hospital? Why? How? They had that fucking pretty doll on their side as if she can do something. How the hell could they think that woman knew anything about the hospital? She looked like she wouldn't know anything. 

He turned his gaze towards Dr. Gray who is already staring at him with those silver-blue eyes. She had pretty eyes, he'd give her that. Huge and bright. A pretty smile, too. He has to admit she looked gorgeous, it's not just her beauty but the way she held herself, her whole stance bold and brave. He wasn't his type but she has a kind of a pull. Her hair was nice, though, smooth and black and shiny. What would it feel like slipping through his fingers? Wrapped around his fist? Brushing over his bare chest?

He brushed of his thoughts as he faced his mother. "But we have a say in this. She's going to work with us," Matt said, raising his voice. He looked at Henry. "I'm sorry we cannot accept this decision."

Henry looked calm as he glanced at Dr. Gray who calmly walked towards the coffee machine to grab a coffee for her. Everyone stared at her movements until she took a sip from her freshly prepared coffee. He enjoyed her reaction immensely, the flutter of the lashes, the faint flush, the darkening of the eyes. "I buying my own coffee machine," she muttered, winking at Henry.

Matt blinked. Is she serious?

"What do you think?" Henry asked, looking at Matt and then at Dr. Gray.