38. It's Been a Few Years

As the flaming yellow sparks come to an end the rusty blue door is kicked open by a determined Thomas. Him, Newt and Harriet walk into the crate to see about 60 kids chained to their seats. "Aris." He breaths out, walking up to the much changed boy, but aside from his natural changes he has bruises covering his body. "Hey, you guys ok?" he asks, seeing Sonya sitting next to him.

"Yeah, we're fine." Aris assures.

Newt and Thomas carry on down the crate as Harriet hugs Sonya and Aris.

"It's okay. You guys are safe. All right? Just hang on." Thomas encouraged the sacred teens.

Making it to the back of the train, Thomas turns around to look at Newt. "He's not here."

Too disappointed to reply Newt just faintly nods his head. "I'll go let the others know." he mumbled.

As he walked out of the doorway of the crate he saw a pacing Athena and the others having small conversations, seeing the blonde they all turned to look at him, only Athena just had her back to the group. "Is he here?" Fry asked.

"No he's not." Newt said quietly, before going back in to help the other kids out.

As Fry turned round to comfort Athena he looked to see she wasn't standing there anymore, about to go after her Brenda grabbed Fry's shoulder causing him to look back at her and Jorge, "Give her a bit of space, Hermano."

---------------------------------------------

Bursting through the door to her and Newts room as she closed the door behind her, leaning back against it she collapsed on the floor sliding down the door, tears falling down her cheeks.

Minutes of crying Athena's breaths became shortened, as it felt like her throat was closing up, she quickly got up and ran into the small attached bathroom, and threw the toilet seat up. Throwing her head into it and her food coming back out through her throat.

Hearing the door behind her she didn't turn to look, hearing the tap run behind her, she then felt someone's hand on her back rubbing circles into it. "Drink this." Newt said holding a glass of water and he was crouched beside her.

Removing her head from the toilet seat she grabbed the drink and took a few sips spitting some back out from the taste. "I'm sorry." she mumbled.

"For what?"

"For letting you down. And Thomas. And Fry. Especially Minho." she had a tear running down her face.

"Love, you have nothing to apologise for, without you god knows how any of us would have thought of a plan. No one blames you, no one resents you, we are all just sad. And I know you are too so come here." he said as he cleaned her face with a towel, and brought her into a hug.

"I love you." she said into his shirt.

"I love you too." he replied, rubbing circles in her back.

"Come on, brush your teeth, then Vince has an announcement for the newbies." he said, pulling her up.

---------------------------------------

"All right, listen up!" Vince exclaimed and stood on a stage, Finn stood a bit behind him. "I know you've all been through hell. I wish I could say our troubles are over. But we're not through this yet. WCKD is still out there. And they're not giving up. 'Cause you got something they want. They took you because you're immune to a plague that's wiping out the human race. And they think you're worth sacrificing to find a cure. Well, I don't. So in two days, when we get this tub of rust seaworthy, we're getting the hell out of here. We're going to go to a place where WICKED will never find you. A place you can start over. A place you can call home." As Vince finished his welcoming speech, Finn walked forward seeing Newt and Athena sat in an empty window space at the back, his arm around her waist.