Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I've never really talked to someone more then 5 minutes on the phone, much less half an hour. I talked to Jay for 4 hours that night. We took breaks that last maybe a total of ten minutes thru ought that entire conversation.
I answered the phone with a hello.
"Derek?" he asked
"Yea its me, whats up?" I asked back.
"You never texted me back," which was true, "so I was just wondering where you went".
"I went with a friend from school to steak n shake and we talked for while, sorry for not hitting you back." I said.
"No you're cool, you're allowed to have a life outside of me." he said jokingly.
But he was right.
"So whatcha want to talk? about I asked. "How was your day"? I added back quickly.
"It was fine, went to school, I was texting you in my super boring math class, you saved me on that one." he stated. That was me, better talk quickly before they learn that fucking Demon. Or Angel at this point, I don't know who I'm protecting.

I was face up on my island in the kitchen, preparing dinner while talking to him.

I had Salisbury steak and potatoes in the oven, waiting on them to finish cooking when Jay brought up something.
"So you guys must have cool parties at that richy rich prep school huh." He inquired.
This was two hours into our convo so it didn't seemed planned or anything. It was abuse.
"Yea we have some fun blazers here and there, just got to know the right people." I said.
"Yea I've been wanting to go to one for a while now, but I feel young and annoying."he said shyly.
Remembering he was just a freshman I could knew why he felt that way. I wasnt the most suave person growing into who I was currently. I'm sure he had so much less on his plate though then I do right now.
What if he isn't gay and just looking for a friend.
The fear crept into the back of my mind.
I wasn't gonna invite this guy to a party, so many things could go wrong. With me, and who I am.
"I doubt people will find you annoying," I started. "If you want to go to a party just go with a friend first, that's what I'd do."
I really didn't want him going for many reasons, and I'd knew I'd chew on those words later, but parties can be dangerous sometimes and people get hurt in many ways. I didn't want that happening to him. I kinda felt like I should protect him. Were they a lot of fun? Yes. But could you also go on long walks and talk, or maybe go see a movie for fun too? Yes.

"Yea, maybe I'll go with a friend this weekend" he said more boldly.
Well fuck.
"Don't have too much fun without me" I said.
"I'll try and not to" he replied.
I finished eating and washed the dishes and put them into the cold metal dishwasher. It was midnight and I was still just walking around the house aimlessly at this point. My sister was watching Big Time Rush and after the 5th lap around the house Angie asked who the hell I was talking to and why I kept walking in front of her TV. I told her to get her butt in bed soon, she had school the next day. She sighed and said "after this new episode". Which I new was a lie since shed been watching it for hours and shes seen every season religiously.
I apologized about the interruptions and walked back to my room. I closed my door and tossed my exhausted yet content body on my bed with a big flop.
We had been talking about where we grew up and what our parents did and basic shit like that. He grew up in California and moved to Ohio a few years back. For his moms nursing job. I was not as lucky to be born outside of the Birthplace of Aviation. He talked about the beaches and all the exotic foods he tried at such a young age. He did in fact have a dog, named Alex. I don't know why because Alex is a weird dog name. But I tried not being judgmental. It was 1 A.M when I could feel myself falling asleep. He yawned at least three times before we both knew to call it quits for the night. I had a long day tomorrow and needed my energy, or whatever I had left. I said bye and we both hung up the phone one after the other.
I knew I needed a shower so I ripped off my clothes and went to grab a hot shower I'd been running for a couple minutes now. It was a fog fest when I entered the bathroom. I pulled back the thick shower curtains and jumped in acceptingly, the scalding hot water touched my chest. I took a deep breathe in as hot moist air filled my lungs. I rubbed my face gently and slowly letting water run down my face to my neck and below.I played my Spotify playlist on my Bose speaker system I had. And as soon a Taylor Swifts Wildest Dreams came on, I heard that whistle notification go off on my phone.
Probably just a Facebook message or notification.
I got out of the shower and grabbed my fluffy cotton towel and dabbed my face with it as I reached for my I-phone.
It was from Jay, it read "Thanks for the great convo, I was so depressed earlier, you really helped me out, sleep well"
I replied "It was no problem, thanks for listening to me too. I feel like I can open up to you more then most people, I mean it, man. Sleep well too, goodnight."
I wanted to send a heart emoji too, but the crippling thought of it being to gay and scaring him off was too powerful. So I just left it as it was.
I ended up passing out to reruns of Friends as I daydreamed what it would be like holding Jay in my arms, smelling his hair as I hugged him for all eternity, because for me that would be enough.
I woke up the next morning exhausted AF.

"Figures" I whispered as I got my feet off of the warm shelter that was my bed. I was honestly was to lazy to run this morning so I made up for it in my mind by doing some yoga stretches that my mom recommended for me.
I walked into the kitchen and my sister was downing some dayquil and oj as I passed by her to get a cereal bar.
"Why are you taking Dayquil?" I asked, concerned.
"I think I caught the stomach bug, I've been puking since 2am." she said weakly.
"Ok well dayquil isn't gonna help that, honey" I said soothingly.
"I'll run to the local pharmacy and grab you some Pepto and medicine." As soon as I said that vomit went flying from her mouth onto the counter, it was orange from the amount of dayquil and orange juice she'd been taking.
She looked at me like a lost puppy as she wiped the remaining gunk of her mouth.
"Do you want me to take the day off from school and help take care of you"? Knowing that our parents wouldn't be home for another two weeks. Or at least that's what they said.
"I just puked a tsunami of orange chunks, I'd love that." She said as strong as she could.
"Go lie down, I'll make a call to our schools". I said gently.
I picked up my cell phone and explained to her school first why Angie wouldn't be there today. The secretary was very nice and told me to let Angie know she hope she feels better.
Then I called my school, after being on hold for 15 minutes I was connected to my principal, Mr. _______ and told him why I couldnt make it in. He told me my class work would be emailed to me if there was any homework for that day. And he too told me he wishes the best.
After calling the school, I put a couple frozen rags in the freezer and told Angie I'd be back in a few. I left the house that morning still thinking about last night as I got into the family Caddie. I drove faster then I should until I arrived at Webber's Pharmacy the only pharmacy with 15 minutes of my house. It was actually right down the street from Viv, in town.
I walked in with the familiar chime ringing as I strolled to the flu isle.
I picked her up some extra strength Tylenol which we surprisingly didn't have. I put some Pepto in my basket as well as some fever reducers and some Benadryl because I know it knocks my lil sis out since I doubt she got much sleep last night.
I paid with the credit card my parents left me for emergencies and with a quick swipe I was in my car on the way home.
The drive seemed long as I eagerly awaited getting back to my lil sis. I pulled in the drive way and rushed inside.
I found my sister laying in the couch passed
out from either exhaustion or sickened I couldn't really tell.
I packed her a pill pod full of all the drugs I previously gathered: Tylenol, some Dayquil, some tums to chew. I slowly bumbed her to wake her up and she returned with half a smile as she pulled her long black hair out of her face.
She was a very strong individual, but while she was sick she looked a lot weaker then before.
I kinda felt bad for her as I gave her medication to her and watched her down it all I one gulp of orange juice.
As soon as she took them I told her to pass out, and willingly obliged.
As soon as I got to my room I got a text from Dillon.
"Playing hookie, that's a new one" he started.
I texted back...
"We both know you are stoned in study hall, missing my ass". I retorted.
"True indeed" he replied.

Friday was here faster than I could've imagined, I was strutting my infamous leather jacket. Short and deep black. I walked into school while biting into an apple. I walked past a couple of lockers decorated in supernatural memorabilia. Such fan girls were important to the basis of our high school. They kinda represented my dreams.

And my dreams matter to me, if no one else.

(star tuned)