18- Breathless

The man in the dark blue suit looked like he carried secrets with him. Leaning against a streetlight, Eli watched the man run his fingers lethargically through his black hair as he stood on the corner looking towards the empty street. When Eli touched his star tattoo, he felt the man's mind buzz with activity. "Definitely a vessel," Eli uttered to himself, "If this guy is not a dreamer then I'm losing my touch." The gift of picking up whether someone carried dreams in them or not rarely failed Eli. It was people like Haven who carried nightmares that blocked out any good thoughts they may have. "No nightmares, no problem, right?" Eli said as he pushed himself off the lamp and walked to the man. He knew that the chance of him actually getting a dream extracted was fifty-fifty. Some dreamers were more than willing to make a quick buck but then there were those who loathed the Dream Sellers and were more than happy to make them suffer. Grandpa had told his grandson enough tales about those sort of nut-cases. People who'd go to any length to maim or even kill a Seller. Eli surveyed the man as he neared him and wondered which side of the coin his luck had fallen on today.

Though the streets were vacant, in the glow of mid-day, Eli felt safe when the man nodded in agreement on a price and gestured to the sanctuary of a narrow alley where the extraction could happen.

Behind a row of dumpsters, Eli set his backpack down and took the button out of the Tiffany box. "Thanks for doing this for ten dollars," Eli said as he tucked the box back into his bag. "Most people won't even think about it for less than double."

When the man grinned, Eli saw just how big and white his teeth were, very bleached and unnaturally white. "Oh, it's not the money I'm interested in," the man said in a low growl which reminded Eli of a wolf. "I'm more interested in something else." Grabbing Eli with both hands around the neck, he pushed him against a dumpster and used the weight of his body to pin Eli against the steel sides. "I'm interested in choking your memory-thieving neck until there's no more breath inside you."

Instinctively, Eli balled his hand around the button and winced at the pain of having his windpipe crushed and the pressure of the man's body against his chest. "Look," Eli choked out, "I'm not trying to steal anyone's dreams. I offered you money. You didn't have to say yes."

"This isn't just for me you little shit," spat the man, "it's for all of us who hate you. This pain is for every one of you thieving sellers who think you're making life better. You're not! You are parasites. A cancer upon the world. All you do is give false hope by selling your second-hand shit."

Eli sputtered. He felt the world getting dimmer. His mind thrust into survival mode. As the man's large hands pressed tighter around Eli's neck, he knew if he didn't react now, the man would kill him and he'd become one more Seller who'd been murdered. He did not want to become another Ryo! It was lucky grandpa Elijah knew what sort of people roamed the streets and had given Eli more than just the button. Though he could barely breathe, Eli slid his free hand into his jean's pocket and took out grandpa's old switchblade. As soon as the blade snapped open and the man's attention was momentarily distracted, Eli thrust the knife between the man's ribs as hard as he could.

The sound of anguish filled the alley. It was in that moment of shock that Eli was able to squirm free, grab his backpack and take off leaving the brute of a man to bleed in his dark blue suit.

Rounding the corner of a building Eli fell to his knees and sucked in mouthfuls of air. Had it not been for the adrenalin, he would have collapsed the moment the man let go of him. Eli felt as if his chest would burst. Tilting his head to the sky he felt the warm sun reach down. Eli thought of Haven and how he wanted to be with him right now.

Though his vision blurred he rose carefully, tucked the button safely back into the blue box and walked towards the cottage slowly. Each breath stung but he didn't stop until he'd walked inside Haven's home.

"Eli?" Haven exited the kitchen and saw a pale and very wobbly-kneed Eli. As Eli crumpled to the floor, Haven rushed to him and scooped him up in his arms. "What happened?" Touching Eli's shoulder, he saw the fingerprints on his neck. Cursing under his breath, Haven held Eli's head up when it wobbled down and looked him in the eye. "Who did this to you?" he asked sadly.

Feeling as if he's been put in a blender, Eli's head spun. The pain around his neck worsened but at least he was able to breathe properly now. "Some fucker," he paused as he inched up and leaned against the wall. "Made a deal. Went to harvest. Tried to choke me."

Furrowing his brows, Haven inched closer. Visions of Ryo being hurt came over him violently. Having two people he cared about meeting their end that way would destroy him. "How did you get away?"

Sliding his hand into his pocket, Eli took out the knife and flicked it open.

Blood stained the blade and handle. When Haven saw there was blood on Eli's hands, he visibly flinched.

"I stuck him like a pig," Eli confessed dropping the knife on the floor.

As the blade fell with a metallic clang, Haven looked at it and cringed. "You could have died."

"But I didn't," Eli whispered feeling as if there were thorns in his throat.

"But you could have!" Haven shuddered. Fear rising in his pale eyes.

When Eli saw Haven's hands shaking, he reached for them and brought them to his lips. "What happened with Ryo isn't going to happen to me. I fucking swear it."

But the simmering sorrow began to bubble over. Haven's eyes were filled with tears which quickly spilled onto his shirt. "I don't want to lose you."

"Hayv," Eli whispered as he pulled Haven close enough so whatever part of them could touch was. "You won't. Not ever if I can help it."

"Swear?" Haven whispered.

"I swear."

Leaning over, tear-streaked and trembling, Haven kissed Eli fully on the lips.

In reply, Eli returned the kiss whispering how much he cared for him.

Haven pulled Eli onto his lap with soft needy sounds. Deft fingers worked at Eli's shirt, tugging it off before he slipped his own off, too. "Last night I almost..." Haven began, "I mean, I wanted to ask you to bed for another reason." Emotions swirled and he found himself wanting to give into these emotions. When Haven whispered what he wanted, Eli nodded and helped him wriggle out of his jeans before kicking off his own.

"I want it too, Hayv. God, you have no idea..."

On the floor next to the bloody knife, Haven lay Eli down and broke the kiss momentarily. His lips found the slowly forming bruises and kissed every bit that hurt.

The pain Eli felt moments ago began to fade until it was nothing more than a slight discomfort. When Haven's lips trailed from his neck down his chest the world around him evaporated. For the second time in a day, Eli's breath was taken away. 

words: 1281