᯽ Chapter〖18〗| Uninvited Guests ᯽

It was a strange sight to see Nevers attempt to waltz. Nevertheless, as clumsy and bashful as they all were, there was some sort of happiness in the air.

At first when news got around of what was in store for them in Evil Hall, Nevers recoiled and pretended to be disgusted.

But slowly, one by one, students began to fill the room. All used the same excuse when they got in ("I just want to look around."), but none of them left.

And soon, some Never boys even summoned the courage to ask Never girls to dance.

Ravan had his bunk mates play some music using the reed violins they were provided with and though hesitantly, Never couples began to make their way to the dancefloor.

Lyra couldn't help but smile seeing how Never girls unconsciously tried to groom themselves. None of them had pretty dresses so they were stuck wearing their uniforms, but it was comfortable in some way. Some tried to comb through their hair, in an attempt to tidy themselves, and some tried their best not to slouch.

Never boys tried to look confident by puffing their chest, but in the end just settled with a meek smile.

Although everyone was instinctively trying to hide it, they were all having fun. They weren't perfect, but they were themselves. And that was what the No Ball was all about.

"What got you smiling like that?" A voice asked from beside Lyra, nearly making her jump.

"C-Colten. You're actually here," Lyra said, slightly surprised.

"How could I miss it?" Colten said, staring at Nevers clumsily trying to not step on each other's toes. "I bet if the Evers saw this, they'd laugh themselves silly."

Lyra turned towards him. "Instead of worrying about how others would think, I think it's better to just enjoy ourselves. When else would we be able to have a ball of our own?"

"We look stupid," Colten muttered.

"Maybe we do," Lyra agreed with a small smile. "But it's just us right now, isn't it? Just us, Nevers. If we can't even be real among ourselves, when will we ever be able to? After all, those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter."

Colten cocked his head to a side. "Since when did you start using quotes?"

"Since just now," Lyra replied, biting the inside of her cheek. "Plus, I thought it was a pretty good quote."

Colten just stared at her for a long moment before he turned away. "You're a strange one, you know."

Lyra frowned. "I'll take that as a compliment."

"You don't act like a villain. You're not mean and you don't hate Evers. It's weird that you were placed into Evil," Colten said.

"Are you saying I'm more like an Ever?" Lyra asked, trying to hide the hurt in her voice. She knew she wasn't completely like a typical Never one would expect, but she was still trying hard to fit in. Plus, she always thought she was more of a Never than an Ever.

"No," Colten said instantly. Lyra could see his cheeks turning red. "I'm just saying you're better than a Never."

Lyra felt her heartbeat quickening and her cheeks turning red as well.

"You know," Lyra said, trying to sound casual. "Do you. . . Do you think we can start over?"

"Start over?" Colten repeated.

Lyra nodded, feeling more embarrassed. "As friends?"

Colten looked as if he was considering before he slowly responded, "I don't make friends with my ex-enemies you see. . ."