Chapter 2 - The Will-o'-wisp

Jack got on the train and started looking for an empty compartment. Luckily for him and Rapunzel, they were quickly lucky and were able to settle in while waiting for Merida and Hiccup. Rapunzel tried to put his suitcase down high, but her five feet didn't make it any easier. Pushing her suitcase with one hand, she climbed up the bench with one foot, holding one of the bars of the luggage rack with the other. When her suitcase decided it was time to turn around and fall, a hand came to support her. Rapunzel turned to her savior. Jack had a charming little smile on his lips that made her blush.

"Need some help, Sunny? »

"A little, yes," accepted Rapunzel, surprised to hear Jack call her by that name as she watched him put the baggage into the net without difficulty.

Looking at him, Rapunzel found Jake had changed since the summer. He had grown a lot, but something in his way of being was also different.

"Your voice has changed," noted Rapunzel, who had just put his finger on what she was jabbering about.

Jack put a hand around her neck and asked:

"Do you think so? »

"Hum hum..." approved Rapunzel.

"Do you like it? »

Surprised by the demand, Rapunzel had to think to answer. In fact, she couldn't see how one could love or dislike a voice. A voice was a voice, wasn't it? At least, Merida arrived, which prevented her from having to explain her point of view. She didn't want to hurt him. After all, he seemed to think it was important to like his new tone.

"Arhhhh! I'm heere! Make sure yee have your wand; my brothers are real thieves. »

Rapunzel looked to her pocket automatically. She had only been allowed to take her wand back this morning; her mother considering that there was too much risk of losing it. She would have been horrified that it was already gone.

"Wait a minute... Hiccup ishn't with yee? "interrupted Merida, with a strong Highland Island accent.

Rapunzel looked around her, as if the Viking might have hidden somewhere in that tiny wagon. As the train started moving, Jack suggested:

"He must have just boarded; he may be looking for us. Don't worry, Mer', he'll be here in any minute. »

"I'm not worried! But still... I had something to tell yee and I don't want to do it ten times. »

"Let's wait a little, then," Rapunzel suggested.

The three friends sat down. Jack came to sit right next to Rapunzel and Merida took advantage of the bench she had temporarily all to herself to expand her business.

"So", Jack began, "Your summer?".

"I had to stay in the tower, because mom says that with the war, it's too dangerous to go outside. »

"But didn't she always forbid yee to go outside, even when there was no war? "Merida asked with a funny tone in her voice.

"Oh... but I was too small before and she was afraid that the Muggles would see my powers. They were very unstable, she said, at that time."

"Yeah..." conceded Merida, who gave Jack a funny look.

"But she bought me some shell paint for my birthday, and I was finally able to finish my mural in my room. »

"Cool," says Merida, visibly moderately impressed.

Rapunzel was slightly amused by her friend's reaction. After all, any event that didn't have enough action and didn't end with casualties was a terrible bore for the redhead. In addition, Merida watched the compartment door with an exasperation that wasn't at all concealed.