Prologue

My client's name was Elayne Dessine. An independent, hardworking, gorgeous woman who worked as a fashion designer in New York. I had her man already picked out, but he lived a few states away. This was not going to be an easy task. Elayne never had time to even think about dating. Its always work, work, work with her. Her friends always try to set her up on dates, but she never shows up.

Elayne is stubborn, which will make my job THAT much harder. I got granted permission to pose as a human to take on this case. All I had to do was be-friend her, then I could guide her to her match. This, however, was my last case... After Elayne and Destrey are pronouced "Husband and Wife" , I'll be pronounced dead.

I've taken the form of a human only once before... In the 1800's. Times have changed! Now I can wear jeans, which is a relief. Those dresses got on my nerves sometimes. Anyway, the transformation to the form of a human is quite painful. Our wings sink into our back, to stay hidden (which hurts). The jewels incrested on our arms sink in too (We get a jewel for every soul we guide). Lastly, our hair changes from white to [usually] blonde (which doesn't hurt at all).

 In this case, things were a little different. My wings and jewels sunk in, but my hair bacame wavy and a firey red. My eyes changed from light blue to a deep green. I was pleased with this look, it was different than usual. I looked stunning. I guess this was a sort of "sorry you're going to die soon" gift. When we take human form, we are also given an apartment, a job, and money. My apartment was in the same building as Elayne. They usually do that so it's easier to befriend them. 

And that was the first things I needed to do, befriend her. You can't just say "Hey, I'm a cupid. Come follow me as I take you to your soulmate!". They usually don't believe you. Elayne was a skeptic of everything, so she especially wouldn't believe that. I had to gently guide her to him. It was time to start working on my plan.

Usually I would appear to my client in their dreams and show them images of their soulmate and show them places to go in order to meet them. Most people believe in fate. And I suppose it is fate. We choose the fate. Not always based on compatibility though. Sometimes, in special cases, we base them on things such as how their children will turn out. Not everyone has a soulmate, you know. Some people only end up with people in order for something else to happen. It is kind of sad if you think about it, but it has to be done. That's what this case is. They're not actually soulmates. Neither of them have soulmates so we paired them together. Their child will be a very influentional and kind person. 

Elayne had a soulmate. When she was in highschool she was actually dating him. They were irrevocably in love and always together. They were planning to run away and get married after graduation. Unfortunately, a few weeks before they were supposed to get hitched, Liam(that was his name), got in a horrendous car accident. He died three days later. It's a tragic day whenever a soulmate dies. 

Now Destrey on the other hand, he never had a soulmate, which is quite strange. He's the kind of person who deserves one. But, you know what they say, the good always finish last. Or, in this case, just never finish. It was rather sad when I was assigned this case. Elayne will not feel with him what she felt with Liam. But hey, I can't help that. Us cupids have no control over the lives of the humans.